Pensacola, Fla. – A hot, humid day in west Florida defined the day as the Saint Leo men's and women's tennis teams wrapped up day two at the 2015 USTA/ITA Division II South Region Championships on Saturday on the campus of the University of West Florida.
Day Two Highlights
- Marine Beugre-Guyot went 2-0 over seeded opponents on Saturday. The junior took on No. 7 seed Rosie Willig of Lynn, 6-2, 6-4. She then went on to take down the No. 1 seed, Sonja Larsen of Barry, 6-2, 6-3.
- Isabella Robbiani won her opening match over Kat Dikosavljevic of UWG with a 6-2, 6-2 win. She then fell to Anaeve Pain of Barry in a knock-down, drag-out match, falling 6-3, 3-6, 10-5.
- Natalia Siedliska finished with a 2-0 record on Saturday, topping Nina Bubelova of UWF, 6-0, 6-2, and then followed it up with a 6-2, 6-0, win over Martina Gledacheva of Lynn.
- Alberton Barroso-Campos was the lone Lion on the men's side to make the semifinals on Sunday following a 2-0 record on the day. He opened with a win over Barry's Renato Lombardi, 7-5, 6-2. He then topped the No. 5 seed in the tournament, Alex Peyrot of the host school, UWF. Barroso-Campos won 6-3, 7-5.
- Alex Theiler opened with a 6-1, 6-1 win over Pavel Mojha of Lynn, prior to falling, 7-5, 7-5, to Leo Blay of Valdosta State in a lengthy battle in the round of eight.
- Egor Panyushkin also opened up with a win in the round of 16, topping Douglas Boe of UWF, 6-3, 6-4. He then fell to the No. 2 seed, Anton Bettink of Rollins, in another long battle in the heat, 7-5, 0-6, 10-5.
- Theiler and Barroso-Campos teamed up and topped the No. 4 duo of Anton Bettink and Patrick Sell of Rollins, 8-2.
Quotes from Coach
"It's a great day for the Lions. Marine beat two ranked opponents, and we are heading into Sunday with two girls and one guy in the semifinals, and the men's double pair advancing as well. Today was a really good effort in tough conditions, in some of the longer matches, cramping started to play a factor."
Day Three Draws
- In the semifinals, Beugre-Guyot will take on Anaeve Pain of Barry at 10 a.m.
- Siedliska will take on Diana Bogolii of Lynn at 10 a.m. as well.
- On Sunday, Barroso-Campos will face the tournament No. 1 seed, Ahmen Triki of Barry at 10 a.m.
- The doubles pair of Barroso-Campos and Theiler will take on Heitmann and Pineda of Valdosta State in the semifinals.
For the latest news, updates, and information on the Saint Leo tennis teams, visit SaintLeoLions.com. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest Lions news by following Saint Leo Athletics on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube.