Saint Leo, Fla. (February 17, 2007) - The Saint Leo women's tennis team (0-4, 0-1 SSC) opened its conference schedule with a 9-0 loss to No. 17 Nova Southeastern University (3-0. 1-0 SSC) on Saturday.
The Sharks benefited from an injury riddled Lions team, as one doubles match and one singles match were forfeited giving NSU an early advantage. The 17th ranked team in the nation then won the other two doubles matches and secured straight set victories in the five singles matches to complete the sweep.
SLU's number one Asmaa Tazi (Casablanca, Morocco) lost 6-3, 6-4 in a hard fought match against NSU's Ulia Talalenko. Taylor Cleaves came up short in the number three match, as she fell 6-2, 6-1 to the Sharks Edita Kulichova. The other three singles matches were won 6-0, 6-0 by NSU.
#17 Nova Southeastern University 9, Saint Leo 0
1. Ulia Talalenko (NSW) def. Asmaa Tazi (SLW) 6-3, 6-4
2. Tsippy Waterman (NSW) def. Gina Schifano (SLW) 6-0, 6-0
3. Edita Kulichova (NSW) def. Taylor Cleaves (SLW) 6-2, 6-1
4. Anna Schmidtmann (NSW) def. Lara King (SLW) 6-0, 6-0
5. Andrea Moncada (NSW) def. Hannah Beard (SLW) 6-0, 6-0
6. Mary Crider (NSW) def. No player (SLW), by forfeit
1. Alexa Korotkevich/Ulia Talalenko (NSW) def. Asmaa Tazi/Taylor Cleaves (SLW) 8-4
2. Edita Kulichova/Anna Schmidtmann (NSW) def. Gina Schifano/Hannah Beard (SLW) 8-1
3. Tsippy Waterman/Mary Crider (NSW) def. No player/No player (SLW), by forfeit