Saint Leo Swimming Enjoys Banner Year
The 2013-14 Saint Leo University swimming season proved to be one of the best in program history, both in the pool, and more importantly, in the classroom. That fact didn't go unnoticed in the swimming community as head coach Paul Mangen's Lions became regulars on awards lists at the conference and national levels.
"I am very proud of both our men's and women's teams being able to be ranked nationally in the pool, as well as in the classroom," said Mangen. "It shows great balance, that we are selecting the right people, and facilitating as we need to here at Saint Leo University."
With Saint Leo's continued success and making noise on the national stage at the NCAA Championships, a relatively young team returning on both the men's and women's sides, and a solid core of newcomers coming in next year, the future remains bright for the Lions.
"It is no secret that success breeds success," said Mangen. "So, with that being said, because of our achievements this season it bodes well for our recruiting and evaluation for the next few years. We are continuing to attract top level athletes, great scholars, and fantastic people. Student-athletes that the University community can be proud of and that exemplify our core values."
Below are a list of accomplishments from the 2013-14 Lions' men's and women's swimming season.
- Fourteen new program records
- Matheus Assis – 50 Free (:19.95), 100 Free (:43.89) and 100 Fly (:47.97)
- Pawel Trenda – 200 Fly (1:53.43)
- Stephanie Martinez – 500 Free (5:03.63), 1000 Free (10:14.55), 1650 Free (17:12.92)
- Nicole Weber – 200 IM (2:05.49), 100 Breast (1:02.93), 200 Breast (2:14.48),
- Women's 200 Medley – Chantal Bouthillier, Nicole Weber, Allyssa Black, Paula Carvajal (1:49.16)
- Women's 400 Medley – Chantal Bouthillier, Nicole Weber, Allyssa Black, Bianca Muniz (3:56.85)
- Women's 200 Free – Paula Carvajal, Rachel Cunio, Kaitlyn Hite, Bianca Muniz (1:38.73)
- Women's 400 Free –Nicole Weber, Rachel Cunio, Paula Carvajal, Bianca Muniz (3:36.70)
- Eight Sunshine State Conference records
- Matheus Assis 50 Free – SSC and SSC Championship record (19.95)
- Matheus Assis 100 Free – SSC and SSC Championship record (43.89)
- Matheus Assis 100 Fly – SSC and SSC Championship record (47.97)
- Nicole Weber 200 Breast – SSC and SSC Championship record (2:14.48)
- Three Sunshine State Conference champions
- Matheus Assis – 50 Free, 100 Free, and 100 Fly
- Nicole Weber – 100 Breast and 200 Breast
- Stephanie Martinez – 1000 Free
- Six NCAA All-Americans
- Matheus Assis – 50 Free, 100 Fly, 200 Free Relay, 400 Free Relay, 800 Free Relay
- Milton Alberto-Requejo – 200 Free Relay, 400 Free Relay, 800 Free Relay
- Pat Ceddia – 200 Free Relay, 400 Free Relay, 800 Free Relay
- Gabe Keown – 200 Free Relay, 400 Free Relay, 800 Free Relay
- Stephanie Martinez – 1650 Free
- Nicole Weber – 100 Breaststroke, 200 Breaststroke
- Men 17th at NCAA, Women 26th at NCAA national championships
- Matheus Assis
- SSC Male Swimmer of the Year – 1st in program history,
- SSC Male Swimmer of the Conference Championships – 2nd year in a row
- Elite 89 finalist
- Three conference individual titles (hold most individual titles in SSC history with six) 50 Free, 100 Free, 100 Fly (2013 and 2014)
- Holds the most individual victories all time in conference history with six.
- Nicole Weber
- Sunshine State Conference Female Freshman of the year – 1st in women's program history.
- Three Division II National swimmer of week awards
- Six SSC Swimmer of the Week awards
- The women's team's grade point average ranked 4th nationally (3.54 GPA), while the men's team grade point average was 10th nationally (3.26 GPA)
- Three new members were inducted into National Collegiate Athletic Honor Society, while Chloe Pellican was tabbed the Most Outstanding Student-Athlete of the NCAHS.
- Chloe Pellican
- Kaitlyn Hite
- Stephanie Martinez
- Four Academic All-Americans
- Matheus Assis – 3.89 Accounting
- Gabe Keown – 3.54 Criminal Justice
- Stephanie Martinez – 3.93 Biology
- Nicole Weber – 3.82 Business
- Four women posted a perfect 4.00 GPA
- Rachel Cunio
- Chloe Pellican
- Megan McGowan
- Kaitlyn Hite