WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. – Where the field conditions were ideal for a soccer contest that was rescheduled due to Hurricane Matthew, the Saint Leo Men's soccer team dropped a close one to No. 12 Palm Beach Atlantic 3-2 at Marshall and Vera Lea Rinker Athletic Campus Saturday night. With the loss, the Lions were eliminated from contention to make the Sunshine State Conference tournament this coming week.
Saint Leo ends the season with a 5-8 record and a 3-6 mark in the SSC. The Lions rallied in the second half after trailing 3-0 with 15 minutes left in regulation before scoring two goals in a two and a half minute span to cut the lead in their final game of the season.
On the night, the Lions outshot the Sailfish 14-9 and were awarded five corners to PBA's two.
Final Results: #12 Palm Beach Atlantic def. Saint Leo 3-2
Where: Rinker Athletic Campus | West Palm Beach, Fla.
Record: SLU 5-8, 3-6 SSC | PBA 12-3-1, 7-1-1 SSC
How It Happened
11'| Eddy Milien put the No. 12 Sailfish on top with an early goal off a pass from Lucas Coutinho. | PBA 1-0 |
40'| Fredo Dilbert put a two-goal gap between the Sailfish and Lions in the 40th minute after Timo Knull and Chris Sandys-Thomas connected with Dilbert for the 2-0 lead. | PBA 2-0 |
70'| Farias Juarez scored on a penalty kick to put PBA up by a healthy margin in the rain. | PBA 3-0 |
76'| Joaquin Peluffo scored on a free kick where the wet ball slipped through the wet goalie gloves to put the Lions on the board. | PBA 3-1 |
78'| Two minutes later, Teddy Auyoma scored on a penalty kick to cut the Sailfish lead to one goal with 12 minutes to play. | PBA 3-2 |
Points to Note
- Saint Leo falls to 5-8 on the year with a 3-6 mark in the SSC after the setback on the road in rainy conditions.
- Just before the season came to an ending for the Lions, Joaquin Peluffo scored his first career goal in the Green and Gold to pull Saint Leo back within one goal.
- Teddy Auyoma scored his sixth goal of the season in the 77th minute on a penalty kick to score Saint Leo's first goal of the night.
- The Lions outshot the Sailfish 14-9 and led the corner count with five total.
- Keeper James White recorded one save on the night and ends the 2016 campaign with a 4-4 mark in goal.
For the Opponent – Palm Beach Atlantic
- The Sailfish improve to 12-3-1, 7-1-1 SSC after the final regular season win of the year.
- With the victory, the Sailfish sit atop the SSC standings and will play host to the SSC men's soccer tournament Nov. 4 and 6.
- PBA saw goals from Eddy Milien, Fredo Dilbert and Farias Juarez. Lucas Coutinho, Timo Knull and Chris Sandys-Thomas were credited with an assist in the win.
- Keeper Eliott Barker played 81:49 minutes in goal and tallied four saves on the night for his 11th win of the season, moving to 11-1-1.
For the latest news, updates, and information on the Saint Leo men's soccer team, visit SaintLeoLions.com. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest Lions news by following Saint Leo Athletics on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube.