TAMPA, Fla. – In a game that is allotted 90 minutes of regulation, the Saint Leo at Tampa men's soccer game was decided in the first 10 minutes. The Lions' Brian Werchek and Teddy Auyoma each tallied a goal b10-minute 10 minute mark to lift the Saint Leo men's soccer team over Tampa 2-0 Wednesday night at Pepin Stadium in a Sunshine State Conference matchup.
The Lions scored two goals in the first 10 minutes of the game and held off the Spartans for the remainder of the game to seal their second consecutive shutout win.
Saint Leo was outshot 19-8 on the night and cleaned up the foul count, only committing nine to Tampa's 16.
Final Results: Saint Leo def. Tampa 2-0
Where: Pepin Stadium | Tampa, Fla.
Record: SLU 4-6, 2-4 SSC | UT 8-3-2, 3-3-1 SSC
How It Happened
3'| The Lions jumped on top of the Spartans early with a goal from Brian Werchek who received a pass from Yuga Yanagisawa to put Saint Leo up 1-0 on Tampa. | SLU 1-0 |
9'| Teddy Auyoma has found the back of the net in the ninth minute to put Saint Leo up by two goals in under 10 minutes of play. | SLU 2-0 |
Points to Note
- Saint Leo moves to 4-6, 2-4 SSC after shutout victory over Tampa, 2-0.
- Brian Werchek scored his first career goal in the Green and Gold to put the Lions up 1-0, and eventually was credited as the game-winner.
- Teddy Auyoma has found his spark scoring a goal in his second consecutive game. Auyoma has three goals on the season.
- Yuga Yanagisawa notched his second assist of the year on Werchek's goal.
- Keeper James White picked up his third win of the year moving to 3-2-0 with two shutouts. White hauled in five saves on five shots on goal to earn the clean sheet.
For the Opponent – Tampa
- The Spartans fall to 8-3-2, 3-3-1 SSC after the loss to Saint Leo.
- Tampa ripped off 19 shots with five on goal on the night.
- Goalie Jake Richards tallied two saves in the 90 minutes played on four Lion shots on goal.
Saint Leo returns home to face Florida Southern on Saturday, Oct. 22 for a 7 p.m. first touch. The Lions will honor their seniors before the game, as they close out their home portion of the season.
For the latest news, updates, and information on the Saint Leo men's soccer team, visit SaintLeoLions.com. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest Lions news by following Saint Leo Athletics on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube.