MIAMI SHORES, Fla. – Saint Leo men's soccer team defeated No. 11 Barry on the road Saturday night, 4-2, behind Marcelo Casas' two goals at Buccaneer field for the Lions' first Sunshine State Conference win of the year.
The Lions, who handed No.11 Barry their first loss of the season, saw goals from Brandon Rivera, Teddy Auyoma and Marcelo Casas Saturday night. Auyoma and Casas had their foot involved in Rivera's goal where Casas's two goals were unassisted as well as Auyoma's goal.
Barry saw goals from Hanno Antoni and Alex Doyle. Thomas Coombes assisted the first goal after his penalty kick was saved by Saint Leo keeper Conor McElhinney.
Final Results: Saint Leo def. #11 Barry 4-2
Where: Buccaneer Field | Miami Shores, Fla.
Record: SLU 2-3, 1-3 SSC | BU 6-1, 1-1 SSC
How It Happened
5'| After Thomas Coombes missed his penalty kick, Hanno Antoni put the Buccaneers up on the Lions in the first five minutes. | BU 1-0 |
20'| Teddy Auyoma back-heeled a ball to Marcelo Casas who then flicked it on to Brandon Rivera for the first Lion goal of the game, tying it at 1-1 in the first 20 minutes of the contest. | Tied 1-1 |
48'| Auyoma found the back of the net as he snagged a ball that was bouncing around in the box, putting the Lions ahead. | SLU 2-1 |
51'| Casas beat the keeper and split the defense as the ball trickled into the net for the Lions' third goal of the night. | SLU 3-1 |
55'| Barry's Alex Doyle brought the game to within one in the 55th minute after Frank Lustig crossed a ball over to Doyle who headed the ball into the net. | SLU 3-2 |
79'| Casas put Saint Leo up by two with 11 minutes to play after winning a battle in the Barry defensive end and then taking the keeper on one-on-one and burying the ball into the right side of the net. | SLU 4-2 |
Points to Note
- Marcelo Casas scored two goals in the Lions 4-2 win over #11 Barry. Casas now has three goals on the season, each coming against teams in the top-15 of the NSCAA rankings.
- Teddy Auyoma and Brandon Rivera each tallied their first goal of the season, helping Saint Leo defeat Barry on the Buccaneers' home field.
- Keeper Conor McElhinney moved to 1-2 on the year after making five saves in goal for the Lions.
- Saint Leo held the slight edge in shots, 15-13.
For the Opponent – Barry
- The Buccaneers dropped their first game of the year moving to 6-1, 1-1 SSC.
- Barry saw goals from Alex Doyle and Hanno Antoni Saturday night.
- The Bucs' keeper recorded five saves in the 90 minutes of action between the posts.
Saint Leo will return home to host Rollins on Wednesday, Sept. 28 at 7 p.m. at University Soccer Field.
For the latest news, updates, and information on the Saint Leo men's soccer team, visit SaintLeoLions.com. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest Lions news by following Saint Leo Athletics on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube.