SAINT LEO, Fla. – The Saint Leo men's soccer team dropped their Sunshine State Conference opener on Wednesday evening, falling 3-0 to host Eckerd at Turley Athletic Complex in St. Petersburg, Fla.
The Lions out-shot the undefeated Tritons on Wednesday evening, 14-12, but it was not enough as Eckerd was able to capitalize on their seven shots on goal, sinking three.
Final Results: Eckerd tops #9 Saint Leo, 3-0
Where: Turley Athletic Complex | St. Petersburg, Fla.
Record: SLU 1-1-0, 0-1-0 SSC | EC 5-0-0, 1-0-0 SSC
How It Happened
21'| The hosts opened up the scoring off a misplayed clearance by the Lions. The ball found the foot of EC's Robert Labus, who drove home the shot into the bottom left corner.| EC 1-0
58'| Again, it was Eckerd who was able to put one in the back of the net as Matheus Assumpcao stuck the through pass that found Michael Molata, who put way the score. | EC 2-0
90'| In the waning second, EC's Westleigh Rush crushed a shot from outside the 18-yard box that was placed into the upper-90 of the goal to close out the game. | EC 3-0
Points to Note
- Saint Leo saw Joaquin Peluffo, Matthias Katerna, Marcelo Casas, and Keisuke Ohata each record two shots.
- Keeper James White tallied four saves in net.
For the Opponent – Eckerd
- Eckerd is now 5-0 on the season, having played all five games at home.
- Rush led the way with four shots, but his only shot on goal was his score.
- The Triton's keeper, Alex Gott, finished with four saves.
Saint Leo returns home to host No. 2 Lynn on Saturday, Sept. 17 at 7 p.m.
For the latest news, updates, and information on the Saint Leo men's soccer team, visit SaintLeoLions.com. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest Lions news by following Saint Leo Athletics on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube.