SAINT LEO, Fla. -- It was a perfect day for golf at Lake Jovita Golf & Country Club. Over 90 golfers played the South Course on an overcast, windless day, and shot some of the lowest scores of NCAA Division II this season. 11 teams shot under par, and no. 11 Saint Leo is 18-under par after 36-holes of action.
Results: No. 11 Saint Leo is fifth after two rounds of the annual Saint Leo Invitational. The Lions shot 13-under par in the second round to improve to -18 after 36-holes. The Lions are 13 stokes behind Lynn University, which leads the Invitational at 31-under par.
Location: Lake Jovita Golf & Country Club, Saint Leo Fla. | Par 72, 7,137 yards
|5th||Team 558 (-18) | 283 - 275|
|T8th||Liam Ainsworth 137 (-7) | 68 - 69|
|T12th||Daniel Pico 138 (-6) | 71 - 67|
|T22nd||Joey Savoie 140 (-4) | 72 - 68|
|T36th||Griffin Clark 143 (-1) | 72 - 71|
|T57th||Ryan Gendron 147 (+3) | 76 - 71|
|Casey Bannon 146 (+2) | 75 - 71 *Individual|
|T57th*||Marcus Crowe 147 (+3) | 72 - 75 *Individual|
|T63rd*||James Jessop 148 (+4) | 74 - 74 *Individual|
|T78th||Riley Goss 155 (+11) | 73 - 82 *Individual|
The Low Down
- The conditions were perfect on the South Course, and while the Lions appeared to have home course advantage, the rest of the field took advantage of learning the break of the greens as the second round proved much more "red" than the morning.
- The Lions shot 558 (-18), the lowest 36-hole score of the season. Much like the rest of the field, the Lions best round was the second. Saint Leo finished 13-under par, a new season low for the Green and Gold.
- Liam Ainsworth led the Lions with the first round low 68 and a second round 69. Ainsworth's 137 is the senior's new low-36 hole score. Ainsworth collected 13 birdies Monday, including five consecutive birdies on holes 13 through 17 to close out the second round. Ainswiorth leads the Lions at seven-under, tied for eighth place and nine strokes back from the leader.
- Daniel Pico turned in a solid effort, improving his first round 71 to a second round 67, the squad's lowest score of the day. Pico is tied for 12th at six-under par with 10 birdies.
- Joey Savoie went 72-68 in the first and second rounds while Griffin Clark went 72-71. Savoie is tied for 22nd while Clark is tied for 36th. Ryan Gendron rounded out the five-man team, and shaved five strokes off his first round 76 for a second round, 1-under par 71. Gendron
- Every Lion competing in the team competition had at least one round under par.
- Casey Bannon, Marcus Crowe, James Jessop and Riley Goss all competed as individuals. The quad combined for 27 birdies.
The Rest of the Field
- Lynn leads the field at 31-under par. The fifth-ranked Knights were led by Mateo Gomez (-16) the Individual Leader after 36-holes. Gomez turned in seven birdies in his opening round 65 before connecting on nine birds in round two for his second round score of 63.
- Gomez leads Michael Peter (-13), a senior from North Alabama by three strokes.
- No. 3 Barry lies in second place after 36-holes, and led the field after 18. The Buccaneers sit 28-under par, but had a whirlwind first round thanks to a hole-in-one by Mario Beltran as the junior dropped a hole-in-one on hole four (Par 3, 146 yards).
- The Lions will play in the third and final round of the Saint Leo Invitational Tuesday at Lake Jovita Golf & Country Club. The shotgun start will go off at 9 am.