COLUMBUS, Ga.. – The no. 7 Saint Leo Men's Golf Team completed two rounds of action Monday at the Cougar Invitational presented by Aflac, and despite a slow start, sit in fifth place. The Lions were led by PING All-American Joey Savoie, who is the only Lion under-par after 36 holes. Savoie is tied for seventh place.
Results: The seventh-ranked Lions are tied for fourth after the first two rounds of the Cougar Invitational presented by Aflac.
Location: Country Club of Columbus | Par 71, 6515 yards
|5th||Team 576 (+8) | 289 - 287|
|T7th||Joey Savoie 140 (-2) | 71 - 69|
|T29th||Daniel Pico 146 (+4) | 72 - 74|
|T29th||Liam Ainsworth 146 (+4) | 75 - 71|
|T36th||Griffin Clark 147 (+5) | 71 - 76|
|T63rd||Ryan Gendron 151 (+9) | 78 - 73|
|Riley Goss 151 (+9) | 74 - 77 *Individual|
How It Happened
- The Lions were paired with Point University and Wingate University for the first and second rounds. Point, an NAIA institution, was led by the leader in the clubhouse Francisco Oliveira (137, -5) while Wingate, a 2015 NCAA Regional Participant, was led by Florian DeGroot (,).
- Saint Leo's team of five included Joey Savoie, Daniel Pico, Liam Ainsworth, Griffin Clark and Ryan Gendron. The group turned in a team total of 562 (+8) through the first two rounds. Riley Goss also made the trip for the Lions, and played as an individual.
- Savoie led the Lions with nine birdies and is only four strokes off the leader, Oliveira.
- The Lions combined for 26 birdies as a team, 15 in the first round.
Beyond the Scorecard
- As a freshman, Savoie finished 25th in the Cougar Invitational thanks to a three-round score of 220 (+5).
- The Cougar Invitational marks Clark's first appearance for the Green & Gold.
- Pico returns for his sophomore season, and after three rounds during his freshman campaign, Pico's first round 72 is the lowest score in his young career.
From the Tournament Field
- Lee University leads the 16-team field and is one of two teams under par. The Flames are 5-under, and are led by Taylor Davis (-3), Peyton Slinger (-2) and Adam Wright (-1).
- Host no. 19 Columbus State is in second place after 36-holes and lies 3-under par heading into the final day. The Cougars are led by Robert Mize (-3), and Taylor Martin (-3).
- 11 individuals shot under-par and were led by Francisco Oliveira (Point) at five-under-par. Davis (Lee) is one stroke behind Oliveira, while four different golfers are tied for third at three-under-par.
- Saint Leo will play another 18 holes at the Columbus Invitational Tuesday, to close out the 54-hole tournament.
- The Lions will host its annual Saint Leo Invitational, Sept. 28-29 at Lake Jovita Golf & Country Club.