GAME 1 - FINAL: Saint Leo 19, Florida Southern 1 – (Saint Leo, Fla. – Thomas B. Southard Stadium)
SAINT LEO STARTERS: Rawdow (2B), Stancil (LF), Twitty (RF), Moses (DH), Vitale (3B), Newcomb (CF), Revell (1B), Torres (C), Perez (SS), Teasley (P)
FLORIDA SOUTHERN STARTERS: Curcio (LF), Gibbs (SS), Brugnoni (RF), Sczerba (2B), Kish (DH), Jackson (1B), Magno (LF), Carlton (C), Downum (CF), Fuglesang (P)
AT A GLANCE: Saint Leo (34-14-1, 13-9-1 SSC) exploded offensively in game one of the doubleheader, piling up 19 runs, scoring in every inning but the first. Starter Rick Teasley went a solid 7.1 innings on the hill, allowing just one run which came in the first inning.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Mocs took a 1-0 lead in the top of the first after Teasley got into some early trouble, allowing three hits to start off the game.
- Trailing 1-0 going into the second, the Lions put up a four-spot on the scoreboard to take the lead. Taed Moses led off the inning with a base hit and after he was sacrificed to second by Vitale, Chris Newcomb doubled down the line to score him. Michael Revell then traded places with Newcomb—hitting an RBI double of his own down the left field line. The final two runs of the inning came on an opposite field two-RBI hit from Frank Rawdow.
- The Lions tacked on three more in the next inning, scoring on RBI hits from Newcomb and Torres.
- In the bottom half of the fourth the Lions really put the game out of reach—scoring three more runs on four hits in the inning. Rawdow doubled to lead off the inning before Cole Stancil sent his third home run in the last two days over the wall. Bobby Twitty then tripled to dead center before his was brought home on an RBI single from Moses.
- Already with a 10-1 lead heading to the bottom half of the fifth, the Lions offense continued to be scorching hot. Revell and Torres led off the inning with hits to set up a three-run homer from Taylor Perez—his first of two on the day. Two batters later, Twitty homered to right-center to bring home two RBI.
- Three more runs were plated in the sixth when Revell sent his third double of the game into the left center gap, plating Kory Wan on the play—who singled to lead off the inning.
- Stancil remained red-hot—leading off the seventh with a base hit, and after Nick Gill reached on a catcher's interference, Moses slapped an RBI base hit through the right side.
- The Lions scored once again in the eighth for their seventh consecutive scoring inning. Rawdow sent a double down the left field line that scored Blake Turner, who had also reached on a double.
- Teasley tossed 7.1 innings—allowing just six hits and one run while striking out four to earn his fifth win of the season (5-4).
- Rawdow led the game, going 4-for-6 with three RBIs and a run scored.
- Going 3-for-4 with three doubles and two RBI was Revell, who also scored three runs.
- Moses went 3-for-5 with two RBI and a run scored
- Torres, Newcomb, Stancil, and Twitty each collected two hits in game one of the doubleheader.
GAME 2 - FINAL: Saint Leo 14, Florida Southern 4 – (Saint Leo, Fla. – Thomas B. Southard Stadium)
SAINT LEO STARTERS: Newcomb (CF), Vitale (3B), Twitty (RF), Moses (DH), Revell (1B), Stancil (LF), Rawdow (2B), Torres (C), Perez (SS), Neely (P)
FLORIDA SOUTHERN STARTERS: Szczerba (2B), Gibbs (SS), Brugnoni (RF), Curcio (3B), A. Jackson (LF), Kish (DH), K. Jackson (1B), Miller (C), Downum (CF), Johnson (P)
AT A GLANCE: Saint Leo (35-14-1, 14-9-1 SSC) completed the three-game sweep of Florida Southern, scoring 14 runs on 17 hits. Lions' starter Charles Neely tossed six complete innings, allowing just five hits and two runs while striking out seven.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Lions lit the board first in game two, scoring a pair of runs in the second inning to take a 2-0 lead. Moses singled down the line to get the inning going and Revell brought home the two RBI with a towering home run to straight away centerfield.
- In the fourth the Lions tacked on a third run when, with two outs, Perez singled up the middle to get the inning going. Newcomb then sent a triple down the line to bring home Perez from second, extending the lead to 3-0.
- Florida Southern made it a 3-2 ballgame in the fifth, scoring two runs on a Kyle Jackson single up the middle.
- In the bottom half of the inning the floodgates opened when the Lions scored nine runs on eight hits. RBI hits came from Revell, Stancil, and Torres before Perez collected his second home run of the day—a three run shot right down the line to blow the game wide open. Revell then hit a two run triple to cap off the inning.
- Saint Leo tacked on two more runs in the sixth, the first coming on an RBI base rip from Perez. The second run came on a sacrifice fly from Newcomb.
- Florida Southern scored two runs in the seventh but it was too little, too late.
- Neely tossed six innings of two runs baseball to earn his third win of the season (3-1) while striking out seven. Neely had a perfect game through four innings.
- Revell went 4-for-4 in game two with five RBI and two runs scored.
- Perez went 4-for-4 with four RBI and two runs scored. Perez hit his second and third home runs of the season in the doubleheader sweep of the Mocs.
- Collecting two hits in game two was Newcomb and Moses.
The Lions finished the regular season today with an overall record of 35-14-1 and 14-9-1 in SSC play. The Lions will now have to wait and see on their postseason chances. The NCAA Division II Selection Show takes place on May 12 at 10:00 p.m. and can be found here: