Lions Cruise to 10-1 Win over Florida Southern in Series Opener
FINAL: Saint Leo 10, Florida Southern 1 – (Saint Leo, Fla. – Thomas B. Southard Stadium)
SAINT LEO STARTERS: Newcomb (CF), Vitale (3B), Twitty (RF), Moses (DH), Revell (1B), Stancil (LF), Rawdow (2B), Torres (DH), Perez (SS), Dunnigan (P)
FLORIDA SOUTHERN STARTERS: Curcio (LF), Gibbs (SS), Brugnoni (RF), Sczerba (2B), Jackson (1B), Kish (DH), Miller (C), Barnett (3B), Downum (CF), Chapman (P)
AT A GLANCE: Saint Leo (33-14-1, 12-9-1 SSC) started off the game on fire at the plate, and behind eight complete innings from Michael Dunnigan (7-0), cruised to a 10-1 series-opening win over visiting Florida Southern (16-25, 8-11 SSC).
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Saint Leo scored four runs in the first, all coming with two outs when Bobby Twitty got the inning going with a double to left-center. Taed Moses then drilled a ball in the right-center gap to bring home the first of four two-out RBIs on the inning. Following Moses' double, Michael Revell then doubled to straight away center to score Moses. Cole Stancil then came to plate and continued the inning with an RBI single to left field, and following a single from Frank Rawdow, Daniel Torres singled to bring home the Lions' fourth run of the inning.
- In their next at-bat, the Lions brought home two more runs coming with two outs once again. A Twitty walk led to an RBI single from Revell, and a steal and stop play with Moses on third brought home the second run of the inning.
- Leading six to nothing in the third, the lead was expanded to 7-0 when Stancil led off the bottom half of the inning with his first career home run that sailed over the left field wall.
- Florida Southern tallied their first hit and lone run of the game in the fourth when Dominic Brugnoni hit a solo home run to right field.
- The Lions responded in the bottom half of the fourth with two more runs of their own when Twitty walked to set up a sacrifice fly from Revell. Prior to Revell, Moses doubled to left field and eventually scored on a wild pitch.
- The Lions tacked on their 10th run of the game in the seventh when Stancil sent his second home run of the game over the right field wall.
- Dunnigan went eight innings on the hill for the Lions—allowing just four hits and one run while striking out five.
- Cole Stancil led the offensive output, tallying three hits including the first two home runs of his career. The redshirt freshman also scored three runs and contributed three RBI.
- Collecting two hits each was Moses, Revell and Rawdow.
- Revell tallied three RBI while Moses plated three runs.
The Lions return to the field on tomorrow for games two and three of the series against Florida Southern. Tomorrow is also Senior Day for 13 Lions Baseball players—all of which will be honored 30 minutes prior to the 1:00 first pitch.