April 28, 2013
Lions Take Series from Lynn after Exhilarating Game Three Rubber Match
FINAL – Game 1: Lynn 5, Saint Leo 4 (10 Innings) – (Saint Leo, Fla. – Thomas B. Southard Stadium)
SAINT LEO STARTERS: Newcomb (CF), Vitale (3B), Twitty (RF), Moses (DH), Revell (1B), Rawdow (2B), Torres (C), Gill (LF), Perez (SS), Teasley (P)
LYNN STARTERS: Freedman (SS), Perez (CF), Lashley (2B), Matusik (1B), Giardina (3B), Elasik (DH), Piperno (C), Stortini (LF), Gonzalez (RF), Vandernaald (P)
AT A GLANCE: Saint Leo and Lynn went back and forth in game one of the doubleheader, with the Lions rallying to tie the game in the ninth only to see the Fighting Knights push a run across the board in the 10th inning to earn the win.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Saint Leo took an early 1-0 lead when Dillon Vitale doubled in the first and eventually scored on a throwing error by the Lynn first baseman.
- Taed Moses ignited the third inning by belting a two-out triple off the left centerfield wall. Michael Revell then grounded to first where a botched flip from the first baseman to the pitcher allowed Moses to score and Revell to reach base safely.
- Lynn rallied for three runs in the sixth, scoring on RBIs from Jason Matusik and Sal Giardina.
- Trailing 3-2 going into the bottom half of the seventh, Frank Rawdow homered for the second time this series to tie the game, 3-3.
- Lynn then took the lead back in the eighth when Paul Stortini singled to shortstop to bring home Giardina.
- Down a run going into their final at-bat, Revell led off the ninth with a hit by pitch and was sacrificed to second by Rawdow. Daniel Torres then singled up the middle to bring home Revell, the tying run.
- In the 10th inning Ryan Carmona led off with a pinch-hit single, and scored on an RBI double from Cory Elasik to give Lynn a 5-4 lead.
- Tallying three hits and going 3-for-4 in game one was Torres—with an RBI coming in the ninth to tie the game.
- Vitale went 2-for-3 with a walk and a run scored.
- Going 1-for-3 with an RBI and a run was Rawdow, who homered to tie the game in the seventh.
- Starting pitcher Rick Teasley tossed 5.1 innings while allowing just three runs.
FINAL- Game 2: Saint Leo 10, Lynn 6 – (Saint Leo, Fla. – Thomas B. Southard Stadium)
SAINT LEO STARTERS: Newcomb (CF), Vitale (3B), Twitty (RF), Moses (DH), Revell (1B), Rawdow (2B), Torres (C), Gill (LF), Perez (SS), Neely (P)
LYNN STARTERS: Perez (CF), Freedman (SS), Lashley (2B), Matusik (1B), Giardina (3B), Elasik (DH), Gonzalez (RF), Stortini (LF), Piperno (C), Pierce (P)
AT A GLANCE: In a thrilling game three rubber match, Saint Leo exploded for four runs in the sixth to break the 6-6 and win game three, 10-6, to take the series.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Lynn struck first in game three, scoring a single run in the first to take a 1-0 lead when Sal Giardina singled home a run.
- The Fighting Knights tacked on two more runs in the fourth, scoring on RBIs from Chris Piperno and Alex Freedman.
- The Lions offense was ignited in the bottom half of the fourth, scoring four runs to take a 4-3 lead. Bobby Twitty and Taed Moses led off the inning with base hits and the bases were loaded up when Michael Revell reached base on a walk. The next batter, Rawdow, also walked to bring home Twitty for the first run of the inning. Following a pitching change, Rawdow then scored on a wild pitch from Troy Mannebach. Then, in an odd sequence of events, Revell was caught in a rundown between third and home after a failed suicide squeeze attempt when a Lynn player was called for interference, bringing him in from third to get the Lions within one. Nick Gill and Taylor Perez then sent back to back base hits into the outfield to bring home the Lions third and fourth runs to take the lead.
- Lynn then took the lead right back in the top half of the fifth, scoring three runs on balls put in play by Chris Piperno and Enrique Perez.
- The run-scoring affair continued in the bottom half of the inning when Moses doubled home Twitty, who led off the inning with a walk. With two away, Daniel Torres singled up the middle to score Moses and make it a 6-6 ballgame.
- Tied going into the sixth, the Lions' bats unloaded for four runs to take a 10-6 lead going into the seventh. Perez led off the inning with a base hit up the middle and was sacrificed to second by Chris Newcomb. Vitale then sent an absolute mammoth homerun over the right field wall that sent Thomas B. Southard Stadium wild. Moses continued the inning by drawing a walk and then it was Revell's turn to go deep as he crushed an 0-2 pitch right down the line to extend the Lions' lead to 10-6.
- Matt Hewitt then took care of business in the bottom half of the inning to earn his fifth win of the season.
- Three players—Vitale, Moses, and Perez all collected two hits in the series finale.
- Moses went 2-for-3 with three runs scored and an RBI.
- Vitale went 2-for-4 with a clutch two-run homer in the sixth.
- Going 2-for-3 in game three was Revell, who also scored and drove in two runs.
- Tossing 2.1 innings in relief was Hewitt, who allowed just four hits and no runs.
The Lions now have a brief break from conference play when they host Eckerd College at home on Tuesday night. The regional is set for a 6:00 p.m. first pitch.