FINAL: Saint Leo 12, Lynn 7 – (Saint Leo, Fla. – Thomas B. Southard Stadium)
SAINT LEO STARTERS: Newcomb (CF), Vitale (3B), Twitty (RF), Moses (DH), Revell (1B), Rawdow (2B), Torres (C), Gill (LF), Perez (SS), Dunnigan (P)
LYNN STARTERS: Perez (CF), Freedman (SS), Lashley (2B), Matusik (1B), Giardina (3B), Elasik (DH), Stortini (LF), Gonzalez (RF), Sharkey (C), Perrotto (P)
AT A GLANCE: In a series-opening slugfest that saw a total of six homeruns, Saint Leo (30-13-1, 10-8-1 SSC) topped visiting Lynn (29-16, 12-7 SSC) by a score of 12-7. Tied 6-6 going into the fifth, the Lions scored two runs in the fifth and four in the sixth to pull away from the Fighting Knights.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Saint Leo wasted no time getting the bats going, piling on five runs in the first inning. The four-hit inning was highlighted by a one-out three-run homer from Frank Rawdow over the left centerfield wall. The first two runs of the inning came on RBI singles from Bobby Twitty and Michael Revell.
- Two innings later in the top of the third Lynn responded with four runs of their own, coming on two two-run homers from Joey Sharkey and Jason Matusik.
- The Lions tacked on a single run in the bottom half of the third when Daniel Torres drove in Taed Moses on a sacrifice fly after Moses led off the inning with a base hit up the middle.
- Lynn trailed 6-4 going into the fourth before they tied the game at six on RBIs from Sharkey and Enrique Perez.
- Tied going into the fifth, Saint Leo tallied two runs in the inning when Revell blasted a two-run homer over the right-centerfield wall.
- Lynn would score another run of its own in the top half of the next inning when Mike Gonzalez hit a solo homer down the right field line.
- After Taylor Perez reached on an error and Chris Newcomb reached base on a hit by pitch, Dillon Vitale singled home Perez to score the first run for the Lions in the sixth. Twitty then stepped to the dish and hammered a three-run dinger to extend the Lions' lead to 12-7.
- Twitty led the way offensively, going 2-for-4 with four RBI—three of which came on his three-run homer in the sixth inning.
- Vitale, Moses, and Revell also collected two hits each. Revell went 2-for-3 with three RBI, while Moses collected three runs in the win.
- Rawdow went 1-for-4 at the plate but blasted a crucial three-run homer in the first to help the Lions get out to their early 5-0 lead.
- Earning the win on the mound for Saint Leo was Chris Williams—who tossed two innings in relief, giving up just one run and allowing just two hits.
The Lions continue their series win Lynn tomorrow with a doubleheader beginning at 1:00 p.m. Starting game one on the mound is senior Rick Teasley.