FINAL: Saint Leo 8, Nova Southeastern 2 – (Saint Leo, Fla. – Thomas B. Southard Stadium)
SAINT LEO STARTERS: Brnovich (DH), Newcomb (CF), Twitty (RF), Vitale (3B), Moses (LF), Revell (1B), Torres (C), Rawdow (2B), Perez (SS), Krauss (P)
NOVA SOUTHEASTERN STARTERS: Asuaje (SS), Melendez (1B), Rodriguez (LF), Sedell (3B), Reynolds (DH), Marrero (RF), Clements (C), Navarro (CF), Acevedo (4), Contaldi (P)
AT A GLANCE: In a 14-hit night the Lions' offense got a 5-0 early and quickly put the Sharks in a hole. Shutting down the Nova Southeastern for five innings of relief work was Michael Dunnigan (3-0). The win for the Lions was the first win against Nova Southeastern since 2009.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Saint Leo (21-11, 2-5 SSC) struck first in the bottom of the second inning for two runs on three hits.Dillon Vitale led off the inning with a base hit and following it up was Taed Moses with an RBI triple in the right-center gap that scored Vitale. Scoring Moses on the next play was Michael Revell who scorched a liner right back up the middle.
- The Lions followed up the second inning with three more in the bottom of the third. The rally began with a Ryan Brnovich single up the middle and after a sacrifice bunt and an infield hit, the Lions had men on second and third with one away. Vitale brought home Brnovich on a sacrifice fly and on the following play, Moses singled up the middle. Brining both runners home was Revell once again, who this time sent a double over the left fielder's head.
- Nova Southeastern (18-11, 3-4 SSC) showed some life in the fourth inning as Kevin Reynolds jumpstarted the inning with a homerun off of Lions' starter Brent Krauss. The next batter, Alex Marrero, doubled to left field to continue the rally. Bringing home Marrero was Angel Navarro with a single through the left side.
- The Lions responded by pushing another run across the board in the bottom of the fifth inning. After Brnovich and Vitale reached base, Moses sent another RBI hit to left field to bring home Brnovich.
- The next inning Rawdow and Perez strung together a pair of hits to start off the sixth, and after a sacrifice bunt moved both men into scoring position, Twitty singled through the right side for a clutch two-out base hit to extend the Lions' lead.
- The Lions managed one more run in the eighth when Perez connected on his second hit of the night to get the inning going. Chris Newcomb tallied his first hit of the night when he drilled a ball into left field to bring home the Lions' eighth run.
- Earning his third win of the season was Michael Dunnigan—who tossed five innings out of the bullpen and allowed just four hits while not giving up a run.
- Starting the game on the mound and throwing four innings was Brent Krauss. Krauss allowed three hits and two runs while striking out a pair of batters.
- Taed Moses tallied three hits on the evening, coming up just a homer short of the cycle. Moses drove in two runs and scored a pair of runs.
- Collecting two hits on the night was Bobby Twitty, Dillon Vitale, Michael Revell, and Taylor Perez. Revell also contributed a game-high three RBI. Vitale, Twitty, and Perez all contributed two RBI on the night.
Saint Leo continues its three-game series with Nova Southeastern tomorrow right back here at Thomas B. Southard Stadium. First pitch of the doubleheader will be at 1:00 p.m. with the second game coming approximately a half hour after the conclusion of game one.