National College Athlete Honor Society
The National College Athlete Honor Society is the first national scholar-athlete society to honor collegiate student athletes who have excelled in both the classroom and in athletic competition. Chi Alpha Sigma recognizes college student who received a varsity letter in their sport while earning a 3.50 or high cumulative GPA after five full time semesters of enrollment.
- To encourage reward high academic achievement of college athletes.
- To encourage good citizenship, moral character, and friendship among the high academic achievers in college athletics.
- To recognize and honor the individual athlete, his/her team, sport, athletic department, and college or university.
- Enhances and recognizes the academic accomplishments of student-athletes.
- To mentor and provide leadership to other athletes.
- Must have achieved 3.50 cumulative GPA by the end of their 5th fulltime semester.
- Must have participated in a varsity intercollegiate sport.
- Must have official documentation from the registrar’s office as to class standing and grade point average.
- After complete one year of residency and attaining a 3.50 or higher grade point average, a transfer student is eligible at the certifying institution for membership.
Once the selection criteria are met, the student-athlete must have a self-nomination and nomination by their coach or a member of the athletic department administrative staff
- Someone who demonstrates leadership within the program and athletic team.
- Exceptional citizenship and leadership involvement.
- Outstanding academic record.
- Superior athletic accomplishments and potential.
- Someone who shows discipline and determination.
- Must be of good moral character.
- Athlete who shows positive attitude.
- Exhibits commitment to service to others.
- Exhibits commitment to the Saint Leo University Core values.
- A description of the selection procedures and criteria shall be published and made available to all student-athletes in college or university’s athletic department.
- The Chapter Advisor will identify candidates after fall term in complete and distribute to the coaches by February 1st.
- Coaches will complete the nomination form and give the student-athlete their section to complete. Student-Athletes will commit to a group community service project as a part of their self-nomination as well as how they will commit to upholding the core values of the institution and the standards of the Honor Society.
- Nomination form from all coaches and student-athletes is due by March 1st.
- Once both forms are returned to the Chapter Advisor, the final list of inductees will be distributed.
- A luncheon will be provided to induct the nominees during Academic Excellence week.
- Inducted members will receive a medallion at the luncheon and recognition in the Academic Excellence ceremony program.
- Inducted members who are graduation in that academic year will receive and honor rope at the Athletic Banquet that can be worn at graduation.
- Vicki Fredrickson – Chapter Advisor
- Maribeth Durst
- Phil Hatlem
- Carol Walker
- Rich Bryan
- Jen Garcia
- Member of the SAAC: Liz Casey