Saint Leo University to Induct Four at 2013 Hall of Fame Ceremony
SAINT LEO, Fla. – The Saint Leo University Department of Athletics has announced the names of the four new members who will be inducted into the Athletics Hall of Fame at the 2013 Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony on Thursday, April 4, 2013 at the Saint Leo Student Community Center. The evening will feature a reception commencing at 6:00 p.m. followed by dinner and the induction ceremony. The event is sponsored by Bright House Networks.
The newest members of the Saint Leo Athletics Hall of Fame include long-serving professor and Faculty Athletic Representative Chuck Fisk, as well as Saint Leo College standouts April Phelan (Volleyball, ’99) and Steven Alvarez (Men’s Soccer, ’94). The trio will be joined by Monarchs’ standout Joe Lennon (Baseball, ’69) who rounds out this year’s class.
The Saint Leo Hall of Fame was organized by former Athletic Director Dr. Norm Kaye in 1986-87. Committee members include a broad representation of the University’s alumni as well as the administration, faculty and athletic department.
The purpose of the Saint Leo Hall of Fame is to honor former students, coaches and administrators who excelled in Saint Leo athletics in the Prep School, Junior College, four-year College or University. Its purpose is to perpetuate the memory of those persons who have brought distinction, honor and excellence to Saint Leo athletics and familiarize the entire campus community and alumni with the University’s rich athletic history.
Tickets for the event are available for $35 per person. Click here to register and purchase tickets for the event. For more information on the 2013 Saint Leo Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony, please contact Kevin Houseknecht in the Department of Athletics at (352) 588-8863 or at email@example.com.
(Inductees and Achievements Listed Below)
SAINT LEO UNIVERSITY 2013 HALL OF FAME CLASS
Faculty Athletics Representative/Professor
- Devoted to Saint Leo Athletics for his entire 40-plus year career and served as the Faculty Athletics Representative for countless Monarchs and Lions.
- Became the informal academic advisor and manager for the Saint Leo College men's basketball team, often traveling with the team on road trips and keeping the game book. His service to the team continued for 12 seasons (1980-1992).
- In 1989 the NCAA mandated that member institutions appoint a Faculty Athletic Representative and that he or she must serve from a position outside of Athletics. Athletic Director Norm Kaye asked him to serve as the college's first 'F.A.R.,' a position he held until 2011.
- Started working the game table for home basketball games in 1981, mainly keeping the game book and sometimes filling in on the shot or game clock. He served in this role until he 'retired' from the table crew at the turn of the century.
- Served as a player-coach for the Saint Leo Club Rugby team in 1981-82.
- Has also served on the Saint Leo Student-Athlete Coordinating Committee since its inception.
April Phelan (Bryant) ‘99 (College)
- All-time leader in career total blocks (494)
- 1st in Single Season Solo Blocks (85)
- 1st in career solo blocks (221)
- Second in assisted blocks
- 4th in career block assists (273)
- 5th in all-time games played (475)
- Team captain 1996-98
- Led the Sunshine State Conference in solo blocks and block-assists, 1995, 1997
- Led the conference in all blocking categories, 1995
- Ranked second in all blocking categories, 1996, 1998.
- Women in Sports Award Winner, 1996
- Member of the SSC All-Tournament Team, 1995
- Highest Team GPA, 1997-98
- Student of the Year, 1999
- Dean’s List, 1995-96, 1996-97, 1997-98, 1998-99
- Who’s Who Among American College Athletes, 1997-98
- Guardian Angel of San Antonio, 1998
- Who’s Who among American Business Women, 2009, 2010, 2011
- Serves as Regional Director of Operations for Octapharma Plasma
- Dixie High School Hall of Fame Inductee, 2009
- Graduated from Saint Leo College with a degree in Secondary Education, 1999
Steven Alvarez ‘94
- Presidential Scholarship Winner
- Two-time All-SSC Honorable Mention, 1991, 1992
- Second All-time in Career Assists with 34
- 9th in Games Played with 69
- Leader on the first team to win 10 games in a season, 1993
- Cornerstone player in the transition of the program to a perennial winner
- Actively involved alumnus
Joe Lennon ’69
- Four-year starter, 1965-1969
- Served as Head Baseball Coach at Immaculate Conception
- Named Athletic Director and Head Football Coach at Immaculate in 1975
- Won New Jersey State Championships in Football and Baseball
- Named 1999 Passaic County Athletic Director of the Year
- Has recorded 167 wins, four conference titles and 14 playoff appearances as football coach
- In 34 years coaching baseball has amassed 433 wins, a state championship and two conference titles
- Inducted into Immaculate Conception Hall of Fame
- Inducted into DePaul Catholic High School Hall of Fame
- Winner of the prestigious Monsignor Edward J. Larkin Award of Distinction
- Serving as North Non-Public Representative of NJSIAA Executive Committee