The Saint Leo women's volleyball finally returns home for its 2015 home opener Tuesday. The women's golf team plays in the Rollins Ross Resorts Invitational for its first tournament of the season. Women's soccer will play in its first conference match of the season at Eckerd.
Monday, September 14
at Ross Resorts Invitational, hosted by Rollins College| Sept. 14-15
Where: Mid Pines Inn & Golf Club | Southern Pines, N.C.
- Saint Leo women’s golf tees-off the 2015-16 season on Monday and Tuesday at the Rollins College Ross Resorts Invitational, played at the famed Mid Pines Inn & Golf Club in Southern Pines, N.C. The Donald Ross-designed course hosted the 2002 USGA Senior Women’s Amateur Championship, and is the home course of Rollins alum Peggy Kirk Bell (Class of 1943) – a longtime leading advocate for women’s golf.
- A total of 14 teams will be participating in this season’s Ross Resorts Invitational, including eight teams ranked among the GolfStat top 25 rankings at the end of the 2014-15 season. Six of those eight were among the top ten, including national runner-up Rollins College.
- The Saint Leo five for the tournament will be senior Kellianne May, juniors Marie Coors and Minta Yin, and sophomores Vilde Eriksen and Amanda Jakobbson. The Ross Resorts Invitational will mark the start of head coach Tommy Baker’s third season at the helm of Saint Leo women’s golf.
- Coors finished tied for fifth overall at this tournament a year ago, firing a 227 over 54 holes to pace the Lions. Saint Leo placed fourth out of eight teams in the tournament, trailing eventual winner Nova Southeastern by 11 strokes. The Lions posted a team total of 304 in the third round with all four scorers carding rounds under 78, after putting up a 310 and 315 in a pair of rounds on day one of the event.
Tuesday, September 15
- After seven games on the road, the Saint Leo volleyball team returns to the friendly confines of the Marion Bowman Activities Center for the first time of the 2015 season. The Lions enter Tuesday's contest on a two-match hot streak, including a win over no. 24 West Texas A&M.
- Tuesday's match will be a Whiteout and the first 200 students will receive free tshirts. Fans can also receive free pizza at the end of the match.
- The Lions are now 2-1 against top-25 teams, but have not beaten a top-10 program in the past five years.
- The Lions and Spartans have met 69 times in program history and Tampa holds a 68-1 advantage.
- The Lions went 2-1 at the FSC/Terrace Hotel Volleyball Classic and setter Ashlee Hodgskin and outside Hope Lemon were named to the eight member all-tournament team. The duo were also named to the Hampton Inn-vitational all-tournament team earlier this season.
- Hodgskin is averaging 11.35 assists per set in her senior campaign, and recorded a career best 50 assists (12.50 per set) in the Lions 3-1 win over no. 24 West Texas A&M.
- Lemon leads the lions with 3.67 kills per set this season. The junior has also collected eight aces this season, at least one in the past seven contests. Lemon is one of two Lions to record a double-double this season, and earned her second of the year against West Texas.
- Britt Sederholm recorded her first double-double (19 kills, 10 digs) against West Texas and is averaging 2.00 kills per set.
- Tampa will look to end a two-match skid, as the Spartans went 2-2 at the Colorado Premier Invitational. Tampa lost to no. 4 Concordia, St. Paul and no. 2 Southwest Minnesota State in its last two matches.
Wednesday, September 16
- Saint Leo is coming off a three-game week, where they went 1-2. The two losses came on the road in Livingston, Ala., where they fell 5-2 in a neutral site match-up with Christian Brothers, and lost a last-minute heartbreaker to host West Alabama, 1-0. The Lions lone win of the week came over Colorado Christian in the home opener, 5-2.
- The Lions are led by juniors Genvieve Gignac and Arielle Kabangu, as the Ottawa, Ontario, natives each have scored four goals, and added one assist.
- Eckerd is 3-0-1 on the early season, with wins over Southeastern, Palm Beach Atlantic, and Webber International. The Tritons tied with Colorado Christian.
- Eckerd's leading scorers are Lauren Monce and Shannon Esters-Larkin, who both have registered two goals. Monce also has added two assists for a team-high six points.
- Saint Leo has an all-time record of 12-4-1 against the Tritons.
Look for the next Lions Ledger out Thursday, September 17.
For the latest news, updates, and information on the Saint Leo Department of Athletics, be sure to visit SaintLeoLions.com. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest Lions news by following Saint Leo Athletics on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube.