Friday, April 15
vs. Barry (Three-game series)
Where: Thomas B. Southard Stadium | Saint Leo, Fla.
When: Friday, April 15 - 6 p.m. // Saturday, April 16 - 1 p.m. & 4 p.m.
Links: Live Stats (G1) | Live Stats (G2) | Live Stats (G3) | Video (Friday Only)
- Saint Leo baseball hosts Barry University this weekend in Sunshine State Conference play. The Lions have taken two out of three games against the Bucs in each of the last two seasons, including that final two meetings of last season’s series in Miami Shores.
- The Lions last took the field on Friday and Saturday at Lynn University, with Saint Leo taking a pair of wins from the on-again, off-again ranked Fighting Knights. Saturday’s final game of the series ended with a 27-7 victory, giving Saint Leo its first 20-run effort since a 24-2 win over #29 Slippery Rock on March 10, 2015. The 27 runs are the most by Saint Leo since putting up 28 runs against Webber International on April 14, 2010.
- Sluggers Troy Sieber and Alex Mata moved into the Saint Leo record books with their efforts last weekend. Sieber’s (.415 batting average) three home runs against Lynn gave him 26 for his career, and placed hime fourth among career home run leaders. Mata (.397) stroked his 42nd career double, tying him for fifth among career leaders in that category as well. Sieber is fourth in the SSC in batting average and second in slugging percentage (.800) and runs scored (48), while Mata is fourth in total hits (58) and tied for the conference lead in doubles (17). Zach Daley brings a 16-game hitting streak into this weekend’s series against Barry.
- The Lions pitching staff is paced in the win column by RHP Jordan Pendleton, whose seven victories thus far in 2016 rank second in the SSC and fourth in all of Division II. He is also 10th in the league with a 4.09 ERA. RHP Zach Whitaker (47) and RHP Andrew Cohen (46) rank seventh and eighth respectively in the SSC in strikeouts.
- Barry enters this weekend’s series having dropped six of its last seven contests and 12 of its last 15; the Bucs’ most recent victory was a 10-3 win last Saturday at Florida Tech. Barry is just 3-9 in road games this season. Alexander DeGoti paces the Bucs at the plate with a .397 average and .695 slugging percentage; he currently leads the SSC with 50 hits. Alex Lavendero is Barry’s top arm with a league-high 71 strikeouts and a .228 opponent batting average, to go with his 4.72 ERA.
vs. Palm Beach Atlantic (Three-game series)
Where: University Softball Field | Saint Leo, Fla.
When: Friday, April 15 - 7 p.m. // Saturday, April 16 - 12 p.m. & 2 p.m.
Coverage Links: Live Stats (G1) | Live Stats (G2) | Live Stats (G3) | Video (Saturday Only)
- The Lions enter the weekend series with a 37-1 record and are ranked No. 4 in the nation. The Sailfish come into the series with a 28-15 record.
- Saint Leo swept Florida Tech three games to none in a mid-week series on April 12th and 13th. The Lions won game one 5-1 before taking game two in walk-off fashion 1-0. Saint Leo extended their win streak to 23 games with a 2-1 victory in game three of the series for a home record of 22-0.
- The 20 wins in the Sunshine State Conference tie for the most in a season. This is the fourth time in program history it has happened – 1995, 2002, 2013.
- In the three-game sweep of the Panthers, the Lions pitching staff all picked up wins as Stephanie Adkins moved to 17-1 on the year with a game one victory. Alana Tabel moved to 13-0 and earned her first save with the win in game two and the save in game three. Samantha Tyler won her seventh game of the season in game three, for a 7-0 record.
- Over the series, Saint Leo outscored the opposition 8-2 and collectively had a .301 batting average compared to Fla. Tech’s .155. In game one, Adkins recorded a career-high 12 strikeouts where Tyler followed her up with five in game three and Tabel with three in her 8.0 innings pitched.
- Rachael Heath led the way going 6-for-8 from the plate for a .750 batting average with one run scored and two RBI. Sommer Pollard was .500 from the plate (3-for-6) with one run scored as well. Brooke Samios-Uy also recorded two RBI as she hit a two-run homerun in the first game of the series.
- On the year, Rachael Heath leads the way in both batting average with a .444 and stolen bases as she is 32-for-36 in taking bases. All three pitchers, who have the best ERA in the nation (0.57), are under a 1.00 earned run average. Stephanie Adkins is at 0.44 with a 17-1 record. Alana Tabel sits at 0.51 with a 13-0, while Samantha Tyler is at 0.91 and 7-0.
- The Palm Beach Atlantic Sailfish swept the Sharks of Nova Southeastern in their last outing winning all three games – 9-0 (6 innings), 13-0 (6 innings) and 4-0. The Sailfish are on a four game win streak when they enter the series.
- On the year, Victoria Gonzalez leads PBA from the plate with a .406 batting average as Maddie Bertisch is 17-for-19 on the base paths in stolen bases. Rachel Hill and Amber Johnson lead the Sailfish in the circle as Hill has a 1.82 ERA and a 12-7 record, while Johnson is at 1.94 ERA and 12-1.
- The No. 20 Saint Leo men’s lacrosse team heads to No. 6 Tampa on Friday evening for a Sunshine State Conference showdown. The Spartans enter the game with a 10-2 record, while the Lions enter with an 8-3 record.
- Saint Leo has been led offensively by senior Dylan Yonts, who has scored a school-record 47 goals this season, adding 10 assists, for a school-record 57 point. Yonts also only needs one goal to move into the sole possession of second place in career goals scored.
- The Lions are currently leading the Sunshine State Conference in nine categories, including scoring defense, points per game, man-up defense, and man-down defense, face-off winning percentage, clear percentage, assists, and assists per game.
- Saint Leo and Tampa have faced five mutual opponents this season in No. 1 Limestone, Colorado Mesa, No. 20 Lynn, Adams State, and Florida Tech. Saint Leo has gone 3-2 against them, falling to No. 1 Limestone, and conference foe, FIT, while Tampa has gone 4-1, falling only to No. 1 Limestone.
- The Lions will head into hostile territory on Friday as the Spartans are 8-0 at home this season, and have a 42-5 record at home since the 2012 season. Saint Leo is currently 1-4 against UT, with their win coming back in the 2013 season, the freshman season for this year’s seniors. The Lions won, 8-7, in overtime. Dave Moore made 21 saves, and picked up six ground balls in that game. Yonts tallied a goal and an assist, while Chad Marino also added an assist.
- This season Tampa is led by junior Conor Whipple and freshman Andrew Kew. The duo has combined for 54.9-percent of the Spartans points this season. Whipple has scored 39 goals and dished out 36 assists, while Kew has tallied 44 goals and four assists.
- While Tampa may have their offensive secured, the Spartans have had five different keepers make appearances in net, three of which have made starts. A.J. Arnold has played in all 12 games, making the last eight starts, and is averaging just 6.92 saves a game. T.J. Greenhill has made three starts, and played in five games, but he has only made six saves.
Saturday, April 16
at the Florida Division II Collegiate Invitational
Where: ERAU Track Complex – Daytona Beach, Fla.
- Saint Leo and the rest of the Sunshine State Conference institutions with track programs and distance runners will gather in Daytona Beach on Saturday for the now-named Florida Division II Collegiate Invitational. The full list of entries includes Saint Leo, Florida Tech, Tampa, Palm Beach Atlantic, Florida Southern, and Keiser University, in addition to the host squad from future-SSC member Embry-Riddle.
- Field events will start at 2:00 p.m., while the slate of running events will begin at 4:30 p.m. The meet is expected to conclude at approximately 9:00 p.m.
at Florida Tech | Saturday, 2 PM
No. 3 Women's Tennis at No. 7 Nova Southeastern | Sunday, 10 AM
Where: Fee Avenue Courts | Melbourne, Fla. || NSU Tennis Center | Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.
- The Saint Leo men’s tennis team has just one match this weekend, taking on Sunshine State Conference foe, Florida Tech. The Lions enter the match with a 17-1, 5-0 SSC record. The Panthers are 11-8, 1-3 SSC, with their lone win coming over Eckerd.
- Saint Leo is currently ranked No. 2 in the nation according to ITA, and No. 1 in the South Region by both ITA and the NCAA.
- The Lions have the No. 2 doubles team in the nation in Alberto Barroso-Campos and Alex Theiler. The duo has a 17-1 record, with their lone loss coming to Hawaii Pacific’s pair who sits at No. 1 in the nation.
- Jaime Bueno has been the Lions closer as of late, earning the fifth and deciding point in the wins over No. 9 Lynn, No. 7 Barry, and No. 5 Lander. He has a 14-1 record, 11-1 at No. 4 singles, 1-0 at No. 2, No. 3 and No. 5.
- Aria Canadell is FIT’s No. 1 singles player, and he is currently 12-5 at that spot.
- The Saint Leo women’s tennis team has two matches this weekend, heading to Florida Tech and No. 7 Nova Southeastern. The Lions will head to FIT on Saturday for a 2 p.m. match, and then head to Nova for a 10 a.m. match on Sunday.
- The Lions are currently the No. 3 team in the nation, and No. 2 in the South Region according to the ITA’s last rankings, but in the NCAA’s first ranking of the season, the Lions pulled up to No. 1 in the South Region.
- The Lions are currently 16-1, 6-0 SSC, including a win over No. 2 Barry, the first in program history. The Lions have just two SSC matches left before the SSC tournament. They will also play Embry-Riddle and Palm Beach Atlantic in regional matches.
- Isabella Robbiani has a 16-0 record right now, winning 10-0 at No. 2 singles, 4-0 at No. 3, and 2-0 at No. 2. In doubles action, the pairing of Natalia Siedliska and Anastasia Wagner, who are ranked No. 9 in the nation, have a 12-0 record, all at the No. 1 spot.
- Florida Tech is currently 13-7, 2-4 SSC, with SSC wins over Tampa and Eckerd. The Panthers are currently on a four-match losing streak, but have a 10-1 record at home.
- No. 7 Nova Southeastern is currently 15-1, 6-0 in SSC, but close the season with Saint Leo and No. 2 Barry. Nova’s lone loss came back in February to then No. 1 Armstrong State.
vs. Tampa | 1 PM
Where: University Turf Stadium | Saint Leo, Fla.
Records: SLU 3-9, 0-1 SSC | UT 4-9, 0-3 SSC
Coverage Links: Live Stats
- The Lions come into this conference match-up with a 3-9 record and 0-1 in the SSC with a loss to Rollins. Saint Leo will attempt to get its first winning streak of the season, coming off of a 15-14 win over Catawba.
- Abbie Ross leads the Green and Gold offensively with 23 goals, closely behind is Kelsey Burns as she has found the back of the net 21 times this season.
- Tampa is currently 4-9 on the season, coming off of a 17-1 victory over Ave Maria. The Spartans are looking for both their first road win and conference win as they are 0-3 away and 0-3 in the SSC.
- Offensively, Tampa has three players with double-digit goals. Amanda Voges leads with 27, followed by Amanda Rom who tallied 12 and with 11 is Natalie Carraway.
- Defensively, the Spartans have caused 150 turnovers as a team, lead by Liz Kramer, who has caused 20. Caili Guilday has recorded 117 saves with a 45.7 save percentage in 13 games.
For the latest news, updates, and information on the Saint Leo Department of Athletics, be sure to visit SaintLeoLions.com. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest Lions news by following Saint Leo Athletics on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube.