Friday, March 11
Men's Tennis vs. #8 Concordia (N.Y.) | 1 PM
Where: Saint Augustine, Fla.
- Both tennis teams will be in action this week with the men meeting up with Concordia (N.Y.) on a neutral site in St. Augustine, Fla. on Friday, and hosting NAIA Auburn University at Montgomery on Saturday at 11 a.m. Then on Sunday, March 13 both teams will be in action as the women host Northeastern State (11 a.m.), and the men host North Georgia (2 p.m.).
- Both teams are coming off of a 9-0 sweep over visiting Ferris State this past Wednesday. The men’s team saw the visiting Bulldogs give a little fight in doubles action, but ultimately the Lions earned every points. On the women’s side, Saint Leo dominated the match, giving up no more than two points in any singles match.
- Senior Pauline Helgesson was named the Sunshine State Conference Female Tennis Athlete of the week for matches played from Feb. 29-March 6. Helgesson helped the Lions go 3-0 over the week, taking down DI Seton Hall, No. 1 Armstrong State, and SSC foe Eckerd. Helgesson went 3-0 in doubles action, pairing with Marine Beugre-Guyot, and 2-0 in singles action, including registering the deciding point in the take down of No. 1 Armstrong State.
- Freshman Alberto Barroso-Campos earned his second Male Tennis Athlete of the Week honor of the season on Monday for his performances in matches played from Feb. 29-March 6. Barroso-Campos went 2-0 in both singles and doubles and helped the #7 Lions take down #3 Armstrong State and top SSC foe Eckerd.
vs. #1 Tampa
Where: Thomas B. Southard Stadium | Saint Leo, Fla.
When: Friday, March 11 – 6:00 pm // Saturday, March 12 – 3:00 pm
Links: Live Stats
- Saint Leo baseball opens Sunshine State Conference play with this weekend’s three-game series against defending national champion University of Tampa. The Spartans bring a 16-1 record into this weekend’s SSC series; their lone loss was a 1-0 defeat at the hands of West Florida back on February 14. Saint Leo brings a 12-7 ledger into the weekend, and the Lions have won five straight including a 5-3 victory over Big Ten Conference member Northwestern.
- Catcher Mike Mann continues to pace the Lions at the plate and is ranked second in the SSC, batting .509 through 55 at bats in 14 games. He is also 14th in the league in total hits, despite playing in fewer games than any other player among the top 40 in the category. 1B Troy Sieber is 12th in batting average (.429), and has a 7-for-7 record at the plate with five runs scored and seven RBI over the last two games against Upper Iowa and Mansfield. Tampa will counter with four hitters among the SSC’s top ten in batting: Casey Scoggins (.493), Kevin Santa (.485), Matt Piatt (.439), and Laz Rivera (.431).
- LHP Dylan Collett (3-1, 2.90 ERA, 23 K), RHP Zach Whitaker (2-0, 3.30 ERA, 24 K), and RHP Andrew Cohen (1-2, 4.50 ERA, 26 K) have formed Saint Leo’s weekend rotation in recent weekends, and are expected to see action this weekend. Collett is currently 11th in the SSC in earned run average, while Cohen is tied for 10th in total strikeouts. Dan Twitty (3.48 ERA, 13 K) and Jordan Pendleton (3.18 ERA, 17 K) have turned in strong performances out of the pen in recent games.
- The No. 20 Saint Leo men’s lacrosse team is looking to continue its winning ways on Friday versus Lees-McRae, as they are currently on a three-game streak, most recently topping Coker College, 13-8.
- The game versus Lees-McRae was originally scheduled for Saturday afternoon at 1 p.m., so fans should be aware of that change
- Senior Dylan Yonts is currently fourth in all-time career goals with 89, and has a team best 21 goals this season. Fellow senior Will Corthon has won 69 of 102 faceoffs so far this season, and has picked up 45 ground balls.
- Keeper Dave Moore is currently at 410 career saves, and has 40 saves this season.
- Lees-McRae enters the match-up with a 1-3 record, with their lone win coming to Notre Dane de Namur. Tanner Jones is their leading goal scorer with six, while Alex Molander has five and four assists.
- Saint Leo returns to Sunshine State Conference play for a three game series against the visiting Lynn Fighting Knights. The Lions enter at 18-1 and 5-1 SSC where the Knights enter at 9-15-1 and 1-4-1 SSC.
- The last time out, Saint Leo defeated Southwest Minnesota State in two games Wednesday in a total of 11 innings. The Lions won game one 8-0 in five innings and then 9-1 in six innings in game two.
- Rachael Heath is leading the force from the plate as she is 25-for-54 in her at bats with a .463 batting average. Heath has 19 stolen bases on the year and has drove in six runs.
- The trio of pitchers for the Lions have been dominant in the circle all season. All three pitchers have a ERA below 0.50 where Samantha Tyler owns a 0.23, Alana Tabel has a 0.35 and Stephanie Adkins has a 0.40. Adkins leads the group in strikeouts with 70 in her 52.2 innings pitched where Tyler is second with 36 in her 30 innings pitched and Tabel with 37 in her 40.1 innings. Tabel is 7-0 on the year, Tyler is 4-0 and Adkins is 7-1.
- Lynn spilt in their most recent action with West Liberty losing the first game Tuesday 1-0 and then winning game two 9-1 in six innings.
- Victoria Rios is leading the Knights from the plate with a .307 batting average, 23-of-75, while driving in 10 RBI. Francais Olexa is the leader in the circle with a 2.35 ERA in her 89.1 innings pitched with 32 strikeouts. Olexa is 4-8 on the year and has one save in 15 appearances.
Saturday, March 12
Saint Leo men’s and women’s track at USF Invitational
Where: USF Track and Field Stadium – Tampa, Fla.
When: March 12
- Saint Leo men’s and women’s track rolls on through the early stages of its season with this weekend’s University of South Florida Invitational. Participating in the meet will be athletes from Nova Southeastern, Florida Tech, Swarthmore College, Embry-Riddle, Keiser University, Warner, Florida Memorial, Tampa, Saint Leo, and the host squad from South Florida, in addition to some junior college and unattached competitors.
- Saturday’s competition on the track begins at 11:00 a.m., using rolling starts (next event will start as soon as the previous event in completed).
- Saint Leo will have its strength in the 1500m (around noon) and 3000m runs (next-to-last event of the day), but the Lions will be well-represented in the middle distance and event some longer sprint events.
- The complete schedule is as follows (women’s race followed by men’s race): 3000m steeplechase, 4 x 100m relay, 1500m run, 100m/110m hurdles, 400m, 100m, 800m 400m hurdles, 200m, 3000m, and 4 x 400m relay
Sunday, March 13
Saint Leo Men’s golf at Southeastern Collegiate
Where: Kinderlou Forest Golf Club – Valdosta, Ga.
When: March 13-15 // Tee Times 8:21 a.m. holes 1 & 10 (9 minute intervals)
Links: Live Results
- No. 1 Saint Leo heads to Kinderlou Forest Gold Club in Valdosta, Georgia for a three day 54 hole tournament hosted by Valdosta State.
- Saint Leo last saw action at the South/Southeastern Regional Preview at Mission Inn Resort & Club in Howey-in-the-hills, Fla. on Feb. 29 and March 1. The Lions finished third overall as a team with a three round total 891 (299-293-299).
- Hugo Bernard paced the Lions on the course as he took fourth individually with a three round 218 (73-70-75). Liam Ainsworth joined Bernard in the top 10, as he tied for eighth at 222 (7-72-74).
- Lynn won the team title finishing at 880 (288-284-308) as Chico State’s Lee Gearhart won the individual title with a 214 (73-68-73).
- The Field: 18 teams – 15 in the top-25. No. 1 Saint Leo, No. 3 West Florida, No. 4 Nova Southeastern, No. 5 Barry, No. 6 Florida Southern, No. 7 Lynn, No. 11 Flagler, No. 13 Lee, No. 15 North Alabama, No. 16 Georgia Southwestern, No. 22 Florida Tech and No. 24 Columbus State. The remaining six teams are host Valdosta State, Georgia College and State, Delta State, Armstrong State, Lander and Rollins.
- Tee times at set for 8:21 a.m. for all three rounds with players teeing off on holes 1 and 10 in nine minute intervals.
For the latest news, updates, and information on the Saint Leo Department of Athletics, be sure to visit SaintLeoLions.com. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest Lions news by following Saint Leo Athletics on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube.