Friday, March 27
Track at Raleigh Relays - All Day
- The Saint Leo men's and women's track teams will travel to Raleigh, N.C. Friday for the annual Raleigh Relays hosted by North Carolina State University.
- A small contingent of Lions will travel to the high profile meet which features over 50 competitive Division I and Division II programs.
- Saint Leo will compete in the men's 5K, women's 3000 meter steeple chase, and the men's 10K.
#5 Women's Tennis vs. #47 West Virginia State - 3 p.m.
- The Saint Leo women’s tennis team holds the No. 5 rank in the latest ITA rankings release, falling two spots after suffering losses to both Nova Southeastern University and West Florida. The Lions finished its spring break with a 3-1 tally, facing four ranked foes in a busy week of play.
- Sophomore Isabella Robbiani was tabbed the No. 14 tennis athlete in Division II, as the Lions previously held no ranked individuals despite a No. 3 ranking overall in the nation. Robbiani bested previous No. 1 ranked Valentine Confalerioni when the Lions defeated Lynn University.
- The doubles tandem of Maria Benkirane and Robbiani was dubbed the No. 8 duo in Division II in the Wednesday release from the ITA.
- West Virginia State is fresh off a rain-shortened loss to Rollins College by a 5-1 final score, Wednesday. WVSU moved up one spot to No. 47 in the latest ITA rankings.
Softball at Florida Tech - Series
Where: Nancy Bottge Field, Melbourne, Fla.
Record: SLU 28-, 4-5 SSC | FIT 26-11, 5-4 SSC
Website: SLU | FIT
Game 1, Fri. March 27 at 3pm: Live Stats
Game 2, Sat. March 28 at 1pm: Live Stats
Game 3, Sat. March 28 at 3pm: Live Stats
- The Saint Leo softball team continues its Sunshine State Conference schedule with a weekend series at Florida Tech. The Lions are fresh off a series victory over Nova Southeastern University, taking the set 2-1. The Green and Gold dropped the series opener before sweeping the Saturday doubleheader.
- Junior Alana Tabel improved to 12-2 on the season after pitching a seven-inning shutout to begin the twin-bill. The right-hander leads the SSC in ERA, boasting a 0.97 mark through 93.1 innings of work. Senior Ashley Ehlers is the conference leader in opposing batting average, limiting foes to a meager .147 clip across 81 innings, striking out 106 batters behind an 11-5 record.
- The Saint Leo pitching staff leads the SSC in ERA, as the combined efforts of Tabel, Ehlers and freshman Samantha Tyler manage a 1.37 average per game.
- Centerfielder McKenzie Burns continues to tear up the base-paths, as the senior has a SSC-best 30 steals to improve her program-leading mark to 137 on her career. The speedster has 45 hits this season while batting at a .391 clip.
- Florida Tech is led by two-time SSC Pitcher of the Week, Rachel Pence. Pence has 17 wins while pitching 141.2 innings for the Panthers and is second in the SSC in strikeouts with 149.
- During the 2014 season, Saint Leo won the series by a 2-1 margin, as Pence was the pitcher of record in each contest, taking a pair of losses.
#12 Baseball at Rollins - Series
Where: Alfond Stadium at Harper-Shepherd Field, Winter Park, Fla.
Record: SLU 21-5, 2-4 SSC | RC 14-15, 2-7 SSC
Website: SLU | RC
Game 1, Fri. March 27 at 6pm: Live Stats | Video
Game 2, Sat. March 28 at 3pm: Live Stats | Video
Game 3, Sat. March 28 at 4pm: Live Stats | Video
- No. 12 ranked Saint Leo baseball moved to 24-6 on the season when last time out they fell to the Embry-Riddle Eagles 11-1. The Lions maintain a conference record of 5-4 and a road record of 7-0 heading into an SSC conference matchup at Alfond Stadium on the campus of Rollins College.
- The Tars sport a 14-15 overall record with a 2-7 SSC record. All 14 of their wins have come at home in Winter Park this season. In their last outing, Rollins dropped a three game series 0-3 in Melbourne, Florida taking on the No. 6 ranked Florida Tech Panthers.
- Rollins’ Christian Coburn leads the team in games played (28 of 29), at bats (105), hits (33), walks (14), and steals (27 of 30). The Tars leadoff man currently owns a .314 batting average with 26 runs scored this season.
- Saint Leo has received contributions from a number of hitters this season including sophomore Troy Sieber who leads the team in home runs (8), RBI (41), and walks drawn (19). Fellow sophomore Dylan Harris leads the team in hits (53), runs scored (35), and maintains a .411 batting average through 29 games played this season.
- In the last 10 matchups between the two schools, the Lions lead the Tars with a record of 6-3-1.
Saturday, March 28
Men's Lacrosse vs. #9 Tampa - 1 p.m.
- The Saint Leo men's lacrosse team will host Sunshine State Conference rival Tampa Saturday for the just the fourth time in program history. The Spartans hold a 2-1 series record but Saint Leo is 1-0 at home against Tampa.
- The Lions return to University Turf on a two-game hot streak. The Lions have outscored its last two opponents 29-10.
- Dylan Yonts leads the Lions with 36 points this season (30 goals, 6 assists). In Tuesday's 16-6 win over Adams State, Yonts scored his sixth hat trick of the season, and notched four goals.
- Chad Marino led Saint Leo against Adams State with a season-high seven points on two goals and five assists. Marino missed the single game assist record by one helper, a mark of six assists set in 2006 and reached again in 2009.
- Saint Leo goalie Dave Moore turned in his third consecutive 10+ save performance Tuesday, his seventh of the season. Moore leads the SSC with a .560 save-percentage and 11.33 saves per game.
- Tampa is 8-1, but will play Adams State Thursday night before entering the Lions den. The Spartans are on a six-game win streak and are 2-0 in SSC action.
Monday March 30
Men's Golf at Buccaneer Invitational - All Day
Where: Normandy Shores Golf Club (hosted by Barry University), Miami Shores, Fla.
- The Saint Leo men's golf team will look for its third top-3 finish in as many tournaments Monday and Tuesday at the Buccaneer Invitational hosted by Barry University.
- The Lions will at Normandy Shores Golf Club in Miami Beach. This year is the seventh straight season that the Invitational will be played on the par-71, 6,733-yard Normandy Shores Course. The Invitational will be a shotgun start at 8:30 am Monday.
- The 17-team field includes No. 1 Nova Southeastern, No. 4 Lynn, No. 7 Saint Leo, No. 10 Central Oklahoma, No. 14 Florida Tech and No. 17 Central Missouri.