Friday, February 13
Baseball at Montevallo Classic - All Weekend
Where: Kermit A. Johnson Field, Montevallo, Ala.
Record: SLU 2-0 | ASU 0-4 | UM 1-2 | LU 2-5
Website: SLU | ASU | UM | LU
Friday, 2/13 vs. Albany State at 12:00 pm: Live Video
Saturday, 2/14 at Montevallo at 4:30 pm: Live Stats | Live Video
Sunday, 2/15 vs. Lindenwood at 12:00 pm: Live Video
- Saint Leo is undefeated seven games into the new season. In their latest performance, the Lions knocked off No. 16 ranked Florida Southern 10-9 in an early season regional matchup. The game went 10 innings and was ultimately decided by a Dale Irving solo home run.
- The Lions are batting a collective .354 and have already hit 16 homers this season. Cole Stancil went 5-6 against Florida Southern and now sports a .517 batting average. Bobby Twitty and Troy Sieber are tied on the team with four home runs each. Sieber also leads the team in RBI with 14.
- Pitcher Michael Dunnigan leads the team with three wins in as many appearances (two starts, one relief). The junior has an ERA of 1.26 on the season with 14 strikeouts. Also pitching well is senior Liam O’Sullivan who has two wins in two appearances. Through his 16 innings pitched this season O’Sullivan has a 1.13 ERA and 18 strikeouts. The Saint Leo pitching staff has only allowed 23 runs or 3.3 runs per game this season while their offense has produced 78 runs or 11.1 runs per game.
- Albany St. is 1-5 on the season with their lone win coming against Rollins College of the SSC. Albany St. is located in Albany, Georgia and are a part of the Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (SIAC).
- Montevallo opened their season at West Georgia where they went 1-2 on the weekend. Senior outfielder Matthew Haskins leads the team with a .364 batting average. Pitcher Landon Smith has the Falcons lone win and sports a 3.18 ERA. The University of Montevallo is in the Peach Belt Conference.
- Lindenwood University is located in St. Charles, Missouri and are a part of the Mid-America Intercollegiate Athletics Association (MIAA). They own a record of 2-5 on the season. Senior outfielder Wade Rothermich leads the team in batting average with a .400 through seven games. Sophomore righty Connor Law has three relief appearances this season with a 1-1 record and a 1.93 ERA.
No. 14 Men's Tennis vs. ABAC - 3:00 p.m.
- The Saint Leo men’s tennis team enters the season 1-1 after defeating Coastal Georgia 8-1 on Feb. 6th. The Lions face a tough task on Saturday, dropping a 7-2 decision to No. 5 Armstrong State.
- Jacobo Gonzalez-Tarrio ended the weekend a pristine 2-0 record, defeating both Mateo Garcia of CCG and Jan Porteset of ASU. Gozalez-Tarrio ousted Garcia in straight-sets before defeating Porteset after a 10-8 tiebreaker.
- Netanel Alcabas enters the matchup 1-0 after taking his fourth spot matchup against Armstrong State’s Ignacio Hernandez. Alcabas outdueled the 18th-ranked Hernandez 6-4, 4-6 (10-8) to give the Lions a singles win over the Pirates.
- Bruno Sisti picked up a victory against Coastal Georgia, keeping his overall record at 1-0 to start the season.
Women's Lacrosse vs. Molloy - 7:00 p.m.
- The Saint Leo women's lacrosse team opens the 2015 season at University Turf Stadium. The Lions will host Molloy College for their home opener. Friday's contest marks the second meeting of the Saint Leo Lions and the Molloy Lions. The last time the pair squared off was in 2012. Saint Leo lost its home opener to Molloy 11-7.
- In her fourth season, head coach Lelsey Graham enters the year on the heels of the the programs best season. Saint Leo went 10-7 in the 2014 campaign and returns 18 members from that team.
- 2015 will be a historical season for Saint Leo as the Lions will begin their inaugural season playing a Sunshine State Conference (SSC) slate. Saint Leo's first SSC game will be at home on Wednesday, April 1, when the Lions host the University of Tampa.
- In the first SSC preseason poll, Saint Leo was tagged third with 10 points. The poll was voted on by women's lacrosse league coaches.
- Senior Joanna Chadwick enters her final season at Saint Leo with the rare honor of being a four-time team captain during her career. Last season, the midfielder was fourth on the team in goals (22) and fifth in total scoring (24 pts.), and recorded 34 ground balls.
- The Lions top offensive threat, Allie Sheftall returns for her junior campaign. The midfielder led the team with 31 goals, 20 of which were on free position shots. Sheftall was second on the team with 36 points, and paced the Lions with her 43 ground balls and 48 draw controls.
- Molloy women's lacrosse team was selected third in the East Coast Conference (ECC) preseason poll and finished 2014 with a 9-7, 5-3 ECC record.
Saturday, February 14
No. 3 Women's Tennis at No. 10 Florida Southern - 11:00 a.m.
- The No. 3 Saint Leo women’s squad will begin SSC play, battling No. 10 Florida Southern College on the road. The Lions were swept 9-0 by No. 2 Armstrong State, a day after picking up a sweep of their own against Coastal Georgia.
- Gabrielle Paul and Coralie Pesenti both start the season 1-0 after taking their matchups against the Mariners.
- Florida Southern began the season 0-1 after dropping its first contest to Palm Beach Atlantic by a 6-3 score. Mocs players Magda Riutort, Olivia Spagnuolo and Nina Vucevic earned singles wins from the No. 1, 2, and 3 spots respectively, however PBA took the doubles competition and the remaining singles bouts to defeat FSC.
- In the last matchup between the two squads, FSC narrowly edged the Lions by a 5-4 score. The Green and Gold entered singles competition with a 2-1 advantage after doubles play, however the Mocs took four singles matchups to take the contest.
Softball vs. Palm Beach Atlantic - 2 p.m. (DH)
- The Saint Leo softball team will face familiar foe Palm Beach Atlantic for a Valentine’s Day doubleheader. The Sailfish edged the Lions 6-5 in their last meeting on Sunday to conclude the Eckerd College Softball Invite. The Green and Gold concluded the tournament 4-2.
- Senior Cassie Boggs caught fire over the three days of competition, batting 11-for-19 with seven extra-base hits and seven RBI. The rightfielder scored four runs while hitting six doubles and a two-run homer. The Longwood, Fla. native ended the weekend with an astounding 1.053 slugging percentage and a .423 batting average.
- Fellow senior McKenzie Burns is batting .385 on the season with seven stolen bases through eight games of play. The all-time steals leader for the Green and Gold has 114 on her career.
- Junior Alana Tabel is 3-0 to start the season, pitching 17.2 innings at a 1.19 earned run average. The pitcher has scattered 12 hits and has sent 24 batters down on strikes.
- Palm Beach Atlantic travels to Saint Leo, Fla. after splitting its Wednesday doubleheader with Barry University. The Saifish dropped a 4-3 decision in the first contest before taking the second game by a 5-1 score.
- PBA is led by Victoria Gonzalez, who has terrorized opposing pitchers to the tune of a .524 batting average with four home runs and 20 RBI in just seven games this season. The designated hitter is slugging 1.238 to start the season.
Women's Basketball at Lynn - 2 p.m.
- Women’s Basketball took a 70-50 loss to Florida Southern College on Wednesday. Junior Chachi Guzman netted 14 points while grabbing seven rebounds in the outing. Freshman Maggie Flynn totaled 12 points to round out the scoring attack for Saint Leo.
- Senior Kinnara Lewis averages 11.7 points per game through 22 contests this season. The guard is managing an 81.9% free-throw percentage.
- Senior Melissa Jackson has a team-best 284 points with 214 rebounds this season. The forward leads the conference in rebounds per game with 10.2 per game.
- Lynn enters the game after losing 82-59 to Nova Southeastern on Wednesday night. The Fighting Knights are riding a six-game skid heading into the Saturday matchup.
- The Blue and White is led by Sharneka McCatty, who averages 11.8 points and 5.7 rebounds per game.
- In the last meeting between the two squads, the Lions took a 54-50 win over the Fighting Knights on Jan. 17. Jackson and Lewis each posted 12 points while Guzman added 10 to pick up the team’s first SSC victory.
Men's Lacrosse at Coker - 3:00 p.m.
- The Saint Leo men's lacrosse team opens the 2015 campaign on the road at Coker College in Hartsville, S.C. The pair will play for the meet for the first time in the Lions 10 year history.
- Saturday's game marks the 10th season, and head coach Brad Jorgensen has been at the helm since the program's inaugural season in 2005. Jorgensen has amassed a 113-109 career record, and two Deep South Conference Tournament Championships.
- The Lions vye for their first Sunshine State Conference title, and will battle five SSC teams for the crown in April. 2015 marks the second season the SSC will host a tournament championship.
- Saint Leo earned a No. 15 preseason national ranking in the Inside Lacrosse Face-Off Yearbook. It is the first preseason ranking for the Lions, who return five SSC All-Conference honorees. Saint Leo is one of three SSC teams to appear on the Inside Lacrosse Top-15 rankings. Conference rival Tampa ranks fourth in the poll, while Florida Southern comes in the 11th slot.
- Will Cothron returns for his junior season and was named a 2015 Face-off Yearbook DII Preseason second team All-American in January. The midfielder and face-off specialist was named the 2014 NCAA Division II statistical champion for Face-Off Winning Percentage. Cothron led the entire nation with an outstanding .698 average, which broke a Saint Leo All-Time Record and earned him an All-Sunshine State Conference First Team Selection. Cothron currently holds one Saint Leo All-Time single game record for Face-Offs Won (25). During the 2014 season, Cothron also notched a single season record for ground balls, with 119.
- Coker men's lacrosse enters its second season. A member of the South Atlantic Conference, the Cobras finished 2014 with a 6-8, 4-3 SAC record.
Men's Basketball at Lynn - 4 p.m.
- The Saint Leo men’s basketball was handed a 70-56 loss from No. 1 Florida Southern College on Wednesday evening. Senior Devin Crisosto and junior Edmunds Dukulis each added 10 points on the outing, but the Lions were unable to pull off the upset.
- The Green and Gold is led by Ron Foxx, as the senior has scored 369 points in his final season of play. The forward has grabbed 138 boards through 24 games of play.
- Crisosto is second on the team in scoring 10.1 points per contest. The guard has tuned the offense with three assists per contest.
- The Fighting Knights defeated Nova Southeastern by a 73-50 final score, led by guard Aaron Harrison who scored 27 points in the outing.
- In the last meeting between the two teams, Saint Leo fell 62-55 to Lynn on CBS Sports Network’s featured game of the week. Foxx totaled 24 points while Dukulis spun a double-double with 11 points and 11 rebounds.
Sunday, February 15
Tennis vs. Lynn - 10 a.m.
- The Saint Leo tennis teams battle undefeated Lynn University on Sunday. The Lynn men’s squad enters the conference showdown after beating No. 13 Rollins College by a 6-3 final tally. The men are the No. 7 team in the nation as per the preseason ITA poll.
- The Blue and White women’s team is riding a three-game win-streak, taking a 7-2 match over Bethune-Cookman in its last contest. The No. 5 ranked team is led by Valentine Confalonieri, who enters the matchup a perfect 3-0, taking each matchup in straight sets. Confalonieri enters the season as ITA’s No. 1 ranked women’s tennis player.
- The last meeting between the two men’s teams ended in an 8-1 favor of the Fighting Knights. On the women’s side, Saint Leo defeated Lynn in the SSC Semifinals, taking the match by a close 5-4 margin.
Monday, February 16
Women's Golf at the Lady Moc Classic - All Day
- Saint Leo women's golf is back in action at the Grasslands Collegiate Invitational hosted by Florida Southern. The 54-hole tournament will take place at the 6,574 yard, par-72 Grasslands Golf Club.
- The Lions carded a 605 at the Flagler College World Golf Invitational at the World Golf Resort Slammer & Squire course in St. Augustine, Fla. Saint Leo finished fifth in the 17-team field.
- Freshman Amanda Jakobsson tied for tenth on the individual leaderboard with a 36-hole score of 149 (+5). Sophomore Marie Coors turned in a 150 (+6) while Clare Connolly and Vilde Eriksen each carded a 153 (+7).
- Saint Leo currently averages an individual round score of 76.45 and ranks 12th in the Golf Stat national rankings that were released Feb. 2.
For the latest news, updates, and information on Saint Leo Athletics, visit SaintLeoLions.com. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest Lions news by following Saint Leo Athletics on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube.