Apr 22, 2015
Thursday, April 23
#5 Women's Tennis vs. #44 Florida Tech - 11:30 a.m.
- The Saint Leo women’s tennis team opens the 2015 Sunshine State Conference Tennis Championship with an 11:30 a.m. start against the sixth-seeded Florida Tech on Thursday.
- The Lions enter the contest as the No. 3 seed and the No. 5 team as per the Intercollegiate Tennis Association rankings. The squad is anchored by No. 14 Isabella Robbiani who enters the tournament with a 13-5 singles record in her first season with the Green and Gold.
- Florida Tech enters the tournament as the sixth seed and No. 44 team in Division II. The Panthers are led by Kayla Hergott who has a 16-6 record in singles action.
- In the last meeting between the two teams, Saint Leo bested Florida Tech 7-2 as Marine Beugre-Guyot earned a pair of match wins, taking her singles match against Chloe Chanley and teaming with Pauline Helgesson to defeat Merritt Rabson and Mariana Castaneiras by an 8-2 score.
Friday, April 24
#5 Men's Tennis vs. TBA - 5:00 p.m.
- The Saint Leo men’s tennis team earned a two seed in the SSC tournament after concluding conference play with a 5-1 record. The Lions are ranked fifth in Division II and third in the region with strong victories over Lynn University and Rollins earlier in the season.
- Junior Alex Theiler is No. 21 in D-II while Egor Panyushkin sits No. 23 as per the ITA rankings. Theiler sports a 12-6 record with a majority of play as the Lions No. 1 in the lineup. Panyushkin sits 8-6 on the year from the top-three positions in the lineup.
- No. 7 tandem of Theiler and Bruno Sisti anchors the doubles duos for Saint Leo, as the twosome is 12-5 on the season.
- The Green and Gold will face the winner of the Lynn/Florida Southern matchup as the team earned a first-round bye along with the No. 2 seed in the tournament.