Oct 18, 2016
- The Saint Leo volleyball team is coming off the 2016 South Region Crossover where they went 1-2 with their lone win coming in the final match of the tournament over North Alabama, 3-2. The Lions are currently, 11-7 overall, and 4-2 in the Sunshine State Conference.
- Jamee Townsend leads the Lions defensively, scooping up a conference-best 5.28 digs per set. She has also tallied three 30-plus dig matches this season. Annabella Arcari is a wall on the front line, averaging 1.06 blocks per set.
- Offensively, Hope Lemon continues to lead with 3.66 kills per set and has increased her point-scoring abilities as she has tallied 23 service aces. Avery Bradshaw and Britt Sederholm follow with 2.62 and 2.60 kills per set respectively.
- Setters Anna Garrett and Maddy Powell continue to battle for the position. Garrett is averaging 10.13 assists per set, while Powell is at 7.56 assists per set, but averages 1.41 kills per set.
- In the last match against Tampa, the Lions gained a huge win as they took down the Spartans in Tampa, 3-1. Powell guided the Lions offense to a .269 hitting percentage, which was highlighted by Arcari's .600 clip. Arcari put down seven kills on ten attempts while committing just one error. She also added three blocks, including one solo. Saint Leo saw both freshman Victoria Omoregie and sophomore Avery Bradshaw put down at team-high 13 kills, while junior Britt Sederholm added 12. Defensively, senior Jamee Townsend finished with a match-high 19 digs, while both Dallas Jasper and Arcari added three blocks.
- Tampa is coming out of the South Region Crossover with a 3-0 record, taking down Christian Brothers, Shorter, and Union. They are currently 13-4 on the year, and 4-2 in SSC action.
- Allee Stelogeannis leads the Spartans offensively, averaging 4.42 kills per set on a .287 clip. Fellow outside Katie McKiel adds 2.75 kills per set.
Men's Soccer Notes
- The Saint Leo men’s soccer team will be looking to build momentum off a 2-0 win over Embry-Riddle this past Saturday as they head to Tampa to take on the Spartans on Wednesday evening. The Lions are currently 3-6 overall, and 1-4 in SSC play.
- Saint Leo sophomore Michael Tinari, scored his first career goal in the 44th minute of the Lions' 2-0 victory over Embry-Riddle Saturday night at University Soccer Field. Teddy Auyoma scored his second goal of the season in the ninth minute for the eventual game-winner.
- James White earned the win and the shutout against ERAU on Saturday, and he recorded three saves. He now has 12 saves on the season. Senior Conor McElhinney has 25 saves on the season in five games played.
- Marcello Casas and Bafou Sanogo both have tallied three goals this season, while Auyoma follows with two. Brian Werchek leads the team with three assists.
- Tampa enters the match-up with an 8-2-2 record and a 3-2-1 SSC record. In the 10/11 NSCAA poll, the Spartans were ranked No. 23, and were No. 4 in the South Region.
- The Spartans have a 55.6-shot on goal percentage and have scored 38 goals this season. Fredinho Mompremier leads with 11 goals and four assists for 26 points. Jake Richards has a 6-2-1 record in net and has recorded 22 saves.
Women's Soccer Notes
- The Saint Leo women’s soccer team is looking to rebound off a 2-1 loss at Embry-Riddle. The Lions are currently 8-3, 4-1 in SSC play as they look to host the Spartans of Tampa. The Lions are currently 5-1 at home this season. The Lions are currently sixth in the South Region rankings.
- Arielle Kabangu currently leads the team and the SSC in points (25) and goals (12) on the season. Natalie Melillo follows with 15 points, on four goals and a team-high seven assists. Katie Waddell adds 12 points, with three goals and six assists.
- Keeper Julia Ortiz owns a 5-1 record and has recorded 24 saves. Megan Charlton owns a 3-2 record and has made 23 saves.
- Tampa enters with a 5-7-1 record, and a 3-3-1 conference record following a 2-1 OT loss at Barry. The Spartans are currently 3-2-1 on the road this season.
- Nastasia Asgedom leads Tampa offensively with nine points on three goals and three assists. Robyn-Anne Whittaker has added six points on two goals and two assists.
- The Spartans have seen a split at keeper as Caroline Frykgard has played in seven games and owns a 4-2-1 record, while Sydney Ross has played in six with a 1-5-0 record. Frykgard has started the last seven games.