Jan 27, 2017
Swimming at Tampa - 3 p.m.
University of Tampa Aquatic Center | Tampa, Fla.
- Saint Leo men’s and women’s swimming has its final tune-up for the Sunshine State Conference Championships this afternoon, as it makes the short drive to downtown Tampa to take on the University of Tampa Spartans.
- Schedule for Friday’s meet vs. Tampa (men’s race, followed by women): 200 Medley Relay, 1000 Free (women only), 200 Free, 100 Back, 100 Breast, 200 Fly, 50 Free, 100 Free, 200 Back, 200 Breast, 500 Free, 100 Fly, 200 Individual Medley, 200 Free Relay
- After today’s meet, the Lions will have roughly two weeks to prepare for the SSC Championships, which begin Thursday, Feb. 16, in Orlando, Fla.
Women's Basketball Notes
- The Saint Leo women’s basketball team is back in action after a week hiatus following a 66-38 loss at Embry-Riddle on Saturday, Jan. 21. The Lions will host Tampa at 5:30 p.m. on Saturday, Jan. 28, in the second match-up between the I-275 rivals. It’s just a 21-day gap between the first and second matches, with a first game that ended in a 69-63 overtime loss in Tampa to the Spartans.
- In the first outing between the Lions and the Spartans, both Ragen Dotson and Chelsy Springs finished the game with 14 points and five rebounds. While Nikira Hooks added 11 points off the bench. As a team, Saint Leo shot 50-percent from long range, hitting 10 of 20 three's. Both Dotson and Izabell Skoogh hit three apiece. Tampa saw three players score in double figures, as well as Elena de Alfredo, tallied a game-high 25 points, while Jenny Horvatinovic added 16. Karma Jeremie added 12 points and a game-best 15 rebounds.
- On the season, Saint Leo is currently 5-12, 0-9 SSC, and are riding a seven-game losing streak. They are averaging 67.9 points per game on the season while shooting 39.2-percent. They are grabbing 35.1 rebounds per game, but are being out-rebounded by 9.8 boards per game.
- Saint Leo is led by Springs, who averages 17.0 points per game. Her 17.0 points leads the Sunshine State Conference. She also leads the team in rebounding, averaging 8.3 per game, which is good for third in the SSC.
- Dotson is the Lions’ second-leading scorer, averaging 11.5 points per game, which is good for 10th in the SSC.
- TAMPA enters Saturday’s showdown with a 13-5, 8-3 SSC record, most recently coming off a 66-56 loss to Nova Southeastern. The Spartans are in their third of four-straight road contests.
- De Alfredo leads the Spartans with 16.6 points per game, second to Saint Leo’s Springs in SSC rankings. De Alfredo shoots 45.7-percent from the floor and has an even higher mark from deep, 47.5-percent from beyond the arc.
- Karma Jeremie adds 12.9 points per game, while Faith Sanders averages 11.2 points. Jeremie is the Spartans leading rebounder at 8.3 boards per game and is second in the SSC rankings.
Men's Basketball Notes
- SAINT LEO returns home after two weeks on the road to host Tampa in a Saturday evening matchup at 7:30 p.m. to close out the month of January where the Lions have posted a 3-3 record to move to 9-10, 3-6 SSC on the year.
- The Lions enter the game Saturday after a bye week and on a two-game road win streak after defeating Florida Tech, 90-79, in overtime on Jan. 18 and turning around to defeat Embry-Riddle 77-71 on Jan. 21.
- In the Lions last game at Embry-Riddle, Saint Leo saw Marcus Dewberry drop his fourth 30-point performance of the year on 9-14 shooting from the floor while adding two three-pointers. One of the best free throw shooters in the country, Dewberry went 10-for-10 from the line to extend his streak to 24 consecutive free throws dating back to Dec. 19. Joining Dewberry in double-figures was Tyreece Brice, Justin Satchell and Antoine Tobias. Both Brice and Satchell came off the bench and added 16 and 10 points, respectively, where Tobias tallied 10 points. Satchell added 10 rebounds to his stat line to record his second double-double of the year.
- The Lions leading scorer, Marcus Dewberry, has scored in double-figures in seven straight contest and has recorded 20+-point performances in 11 of his 18 games played this season including his four 30-point games. He averages a team-high 21.3 points per game (ppg) and 4.7 assists per game.
- On the year, two other Lions join Dewberry in double-figure points per game in Justin Satchell at 15.9 and Tyreece Brice at 11.6. Satchell leads the team in rebounds per game at 6.7 where Antoine Tobias is second at 5.2. Brice is close on Dewberry’s heels in assists per game with 4.4.
- As a team, the Lions average 79.5 points per game and hold opponents just under that at 79.4 ppg.
- In the SSC rankings: Dewberry is second in scoring per game (21.3). Satchell is eighth in scoring (15.9) and eighth in rebounds per game (6.7). Dewberry and Satchell at in the top-10 in field goal percentage where Dewberry is eighth (.502) and Satchell is 10th (.487). Dewberry is eighth in the league in three-point field goal percentage (.389) and the league leader in free throw percentage (.942) going 65-for-69 from the line. Dewberry and Brice are ranked in the top-6 in the SSC in assists per game at 4th (4.7) and 6th (4.4), respectively. Brice is third in the conference in assist to turnover ratio (2.2).
- In the national rankings (Jan. 24): Dewberry is fifth in the country in free throw percentage (.942) and cracking the top-30 athletes in points per game, entering the week at 28th (21.3 ppg).
- TAMPA enters the weekend with a 14-6, 7-4 SSC record after taking down Nova Southeastern 70-65 Wednesday night. In the win, the Spartans were led by Marcel Robinson who scored game-high 24 points. Mekhi Biffle was second on the team with 21 points where Duke Shelton rounded out the double-digit scorers with 11 points for the Spartans. In the win, Tampa saw Pat Bacon return to the court after sitting out 10 games with an injury.
- On the year, the Spartans have five players’ average double-figures where one is sitting on the cusp at 9.9 points per game, in Grant Bryant. Robinson leads the team with 15.0 points per game, followed by Duke Shelton (14.2 ppg), Pat Bacon (13.8 ppg), Austin Rettig (12.4 ppg) and Mekhi Biffle (10.2 ppg).
- Shelton is close to averaging a double-double as he hauls in an average of 9.9 rebounds per game to lead the Spartans. Bryant is second on the team in rebounds with 7.0 rpg.
- As a team, Tampa averages 80 points per game while holding opponents to 75 ppg.
- In the SSC rankings: Marcel Robinson is 11th in scoring (15.0). Duke Shelton is the league leader in rebounds per game (9.9) and in field goal percentage (.646). Robinson is 7th in the SSC in field goal percentage (.503) and leads the league in three-point field goal percentage (.479). Matt Johnson ranks third in the SSC in assists per game (5.7) and is the league leader in assists to turnover ratio (3.1). Shelton is second in the SSC in blocked shots per game (1.4).
- In the national rankings (Jan. 24): Duke Shelton ranks in the top-20 in four categories: 6th in double-doubles (10 total), 12th in defensive rebounds per game (7.44), 21st in rebounds per game (10.0), and 26th in total rebounds (180). Matt Johnson ranks in the top-20 in three categories: 10th assist to turnover ratio (3.24), 19th in total assists (107), and 20th in assists per game (5.9). Marcel Robinson ranks 18th in three-point field goal percentage (.477).