Feb 07, 2017
Men's Tennis vs. Florida Tech - 3:00 p.m.
Saint Leo Tennis Center | Saint Leo, Fla.
Men's Tennis Notes
- Saint Leo men’s tennis opens up Sunshine State Conference play with Florida Tech on Wednesday afternoon at 3 p.m. at the Saint Leo Tennis Center.
- The Lions are 1-0 on the year after taking down No. 4 Lander, 5-4, behind a come-back win by freshman Charles Benet at No. 6 singles.
- Saint Leo saw Thomas Grinberg and Vincent Suillerot earn their first doubles win of the season, and both snagged singles wins as well. Grinberg took the No. 1 singles spot, while Suillerot won No. 2. Jaime Bueno took home his first win of the season at No. 3.
- This will be Florida Tech’s first game of the season.
Women's Basketball Notes
- The Saint Leo women’s basketball team takes on Lynn on Wednesday evening in a 5:30 p.m. Sunshine State Conference showdown. This marks the second time these two teams have met this season, with Lynn taking the meeting down in Boca Raton, 81-72.
- The Lions are currently 6-14, 1-11 SSC.
- Saint Leo is coming off their first SSC win of the season after taking down Barry, 70-67. Four Lions scored in double figures, led by Ragen Dotson who had 16 points, five rebounds, and two blocks. Chelsy Springs recorded her sixth double-double of the season as she tallied 15 points, 10 rebounds, adding four assists, four blocks, and a steal. Gina Brierley also tacked on 15 points, while Asia Royster tallied 14.
- After averaging a double-double last week, Springs earned her second SSC Player of the Week honor.
- Springs is averaging 16.2 points per game on 46.2-percent shooting. She also adds 8.4 rebounds per game. Springs leads the SSC in points per game, along with field goals made and field goals attempted.
- Ragen Dotson is averaging 11.5 points per game, good for second on the team. She is adding 3.6 rebounds as well.
- As a team, the Lions are averaging 66.2 points per game on 38.9-percent shooting. They are grabbing 34.5 rebounds per game but losing the rebounding battle by 9.0 per game.
- Lynn enters the match-up with a 10-10 record and a 4-8 SSC record. They are riding a two-game winning streak after taking down a strong Embry-Riddle team, 64-47, and Barry, 54-51. As a team, Lynn is averaging 64.3 points per game. Lynn also grabs 40.4 rebounds per game.
- Paola Vazquez Concepcion leads the Fighting Knights with 15.3 points per game. She is hitting over three three-point field goals per game on 38.3-percent shooting from long range.
Men's Basketball Notes
- SAINT LEO welcomes in Lynn to the Marion Bowman Activities Center Wednesday for a midweek showdown at 7:30 p.m. The Lions enter at 11-11, 5-7 SSC as the Fighting Knights are 10-10, 5-7 SSC. Lynn holds the season series lead as of now at 1-0 winning 70-68 on Jan. 11 in Boca Raton.
- Saint Leo enters after a 96-91 loss at #11 Barry on Feb. 4. The Lions were trailing by as many as 14 points in the second half and fought back to go down to the wire with one of the top teams in the country. In the loss, the Lions were led by Tyreece Brice who scored team-high 21 points off the bench. Four others scored in double-figures in Junior Searcy with 17, Marcus Dewberry with 16, Antoine Tobias at 13 points and Justin Satchell at 10.
- In the setback, Saint Leo saw Satchell haul in nine rebounds for the second straight contest.
- On the year, Marcus Dewberry leads the team in scoring with 20.1 points per game (ppg). Dewberry has scored in double-figures in 10 straight contests. On the season, he has four 30-point performances, tying his season high for such games, and has 11 20+-point performances on the year.
- Justin Satchell and Tyreece Brice are the only other two to average double-digits as Satchell is second on the team with 15.8 ppg and Brice at 12.0 ppg.
- Satchell leads the team in rebounds per game (rpg) with a 7.0 rpg average where Antoine Tobias is second on the team at 5.7 rpg. Dewberry is first on the team in assists per game (apg) with 4.6 per game where Brice is second at 4.2.
- As a team, the Lions average 79.0 ppg and hold opponents to 78.5 ppg.
- In the SSC rankings: Dewberry is tied for second in scoring (20.1 ppg). Satchell is seventh in scoring (15.8 ppg) and is eighth in rebounding (7.0 rpg). Satchell and Dewberry are seventh (.492) and ninth (.487), respectively, in field goal percentage in the league. Dewberry remains the league leader in free throw percentage (.909) while he is sixth in three-point field goal percentage (.403). Dewberry stands in fifth in the conference in assists (4.6) while Brice is sixth at 4.2. Brice is third in assist to turnover ratio (2.3). Dewberry and Brice rank in the top-10 in steals with Dewberry tied for seventh (1.4) and Brice in 10th (1.3).
- In the national rankings (Feb. 6): Dewberry is 15th in the country in free throw percentage (.909).
- LYNN enters the mid-week game on a five-game skid. The Fighting Knights most recently lost to Barry, 80-75, on Feb. 1. In the loss, Lynn saw Kevin O’Brein score game-high 27 points on 10-16 shooting from the field which included 7-9 from downtown. Marquan Botley and Jamal Palmer joined him in double-figures as Botley had 14 points and Palmer 12 off the bench.
- On the year, the Knights see four average double-figures led by Palmer at 16.4 ppg. Botley is second on the team at 15.4 ppg where O’Brien jumped to third at 11.3 ppg and Terrell Rogers fourth at 10.2 ppg.
- Vieux Kande who is one of the best rebounders in the conference leads the team averaging 9.5 rpg. O’Brien is second on the team at 6.4.
- As a team, Lynn averages 76.2 ppg while holding opponents to just under that at 76.1 ppg.
- In the SSC rankings: Botley is ninth in the league in scoring (15.3). Kande is second in the SSC in rebounding (9.5). Botley ranks third in free throw percentage (.875) and eighth in three-point field goal percentage (.380). Allen Baez stands in eighth in the conference in assist to turnover ratio (1.8) while Kande and Kenneth Nwachukwu rank sixth (0.9) and eighth (0.7), respectively, in blocks per game.