Women's Basketball Notes
- The Saint Leo women’s basketball team host Eckerd, the top team in the Sunshine State Conference, on Wednesday for the Lions' final home game of the 2016-17 season. Wednesday will be Senior Night as the Lions honor Chelsy Springs, Gabby Ortiz, and Alysia Johnson.
- Saint Leo is looking to rebound off an 83-53 loss at Nova Southeastern over the weekend. Chelsy Springs was the lone Lion in double figures, scoring 17.
- Springs continues to lead the Lions at 15.7 points per game, adding a team-high 8.4 rebounds per game. Her 15.7 is tops in the Sunshine State Conference, and she stands in third for rebounding. She is also third in shooting percentage at 45.2 percent. She also ranks fifth in blocks per game at 1.0 swats per contest.
- Ragen Dotson is second on the team with 12.1 points per game, which is good for 10th in the SSC. She also ranks sixth in blocks at 0.9 per game.
- As a team, the Lions are averaging 66.4 points per game on 38.9 field goal percentage. They are grabbing 34.8 rebounds per game, but are losing the rebounding battle by over nine boards a game.
- Eckerd is currently ranked No. 24 in the Women’s Basketball Coaches Association Poll with a 14-2 SSC record, and a 21-4 overall record. They also currently rank No. 1 in the NCAA South Region poll.
- The Tritons are averaging 71.0 points per game on 45.2 percent shooting. They also grab 33.8 boards per game, while having an advantage of 1.2 per game over their opponents.
- Victoria Vine leads the Tritons with 13.2 points per game, while Kacey Juday adds 12.5 points and 7.0 rebounds. Ashley Folsom follows with 11.4 points, and Anna Deegan follows at 10.2.
- In the last outing, Eckerd topped the Lions, 78-67, back on Dec. 10, 2016. Gina Brierley led the Lions with 22 points on a perfect 8-8 shooting performance. Chelsy Springs added a double-double with 12 points and 10 rebounds. Four Eckerd players scored in double figures, led by Ada Yalcin who tallied 19. Victoria Vine followed with 17.
Men's Basketball Notes
- Saint Leo welcomes Eckerd into the Marion Bowman Activities Center for senior night at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday evening. The Lions enter at 12-14, 6-10 SSC while the Tritons enter at 18-7, 11-5 SSC. Eckerd holds the upper hand in the season series after an 83-67 Triton win in St. Petersburg on Dec. 10.
- Before the game, the Lions will celebrate the careers of their five seniors: #1 Necdet Gurkan, #4 Trail Pierce, #20 Justin Satchell, #25 Eli Blackman and #33 Marcus Dewberry. The Lions will also recognize the Tritons four seniors: #10 Shane Phillips, #11 Obi Kyei, #15 Matt Beneduci and #21 Kevin Walsh.
- Saint Leo comes into the contest after an 80-70 setback at Nova Southeastern on Feb. 18. In the loss, four Lions scored in double-figures led by Tyreece Brice and Marcus Dewberry each with 16 points. Junior Searcy added 13 points as Davon Payne came off the bench and chipped in with 11.
- On the year, Dewberry leads the team with a 19.4 points per game (ppg) average, while Justin Satchell is second on the team with 15.8 ppg. Brice is third on the team in scoring with an 11.8 ppg average just ahead of Junior Searcy at 8.4 ppg.
- Satchell leads the team in rebounds per game (rpg) with 7.0 while Dewberry averages 5.1 rpg and dishes out 5.0 assists per game (apg). Brice is the only other Lions to average more than 2.0 apg, as he stands at 4.1.
- As a team, the Lions average 78.6 ppg and hold opponents to 78.2 ppg.
- In the SSC rankings: Dewberry is third in scoring (19.4 ppg), Satchell is seventh in scoring (15.8 ppg) and is ninth in rebounding (7.0 rpg). Satchell and Dewberry are in the top-10 in field goal percentage as Satchell is seventh (.502) and Dewberry is 10th (.471). Dewberry is sixth in three-point field goal percentage (.401) and leads the conference in free throw percentage (.910). Dewberry ranks fourth in assists (5.0 apg) where Brice is sixth (4.1 apg). Brice is tied for third in assist to turnover ratio (2.0). Antoine Tobias ranks ninth in blocks per game (0.7) with a total of 18 on the year. Dewberry ranks fifth in steals per game (1.6).
- In the national rankings (Feb. 20): Dewberry is 11th in the country in free throw percentage (.910).
- Eckerd comes to Saint Leo after a 73-71 loss to Palm Beach Atlantic on Feb. 18 at home where the Tritons were led by Drushaun McLaurn who scored 18 points. Both Trevon Young and Kevin Walsh joined McLaurn in double-digits as Young tallied 14 points and Walsh at 10. McLaurn notched a double-double, adding 14 rebounds to his 18 points on the night.
- On the year, the Tritons have four average double-figures with McLaurn leading the way with 15.7 ppg. Walsh is second at 13.6 ppg, Young in third at 11.7 and Obi Kyei closing out the top-four with 11.0 ppg. Kyei leads the team in rebounds per game with a 7.8 rpg average, just ahead of McLaurn’s 7.1 rpg.
- As a team, Eckerd averages 80.8 ppg and holds opponents to an SSC best 74.2 ppg.
- In the SSC rankings: McLaurn is eighth in the league in scoring (15.7 ppg). Kyei and McLaurn rank fifth (7.8) and seventh (7.1), respectively in rebounds in the SSC. McLaurn is fourth in field goal percentage (.554) as Walsh ranks second in three-point field goal percentage (.462). Blake Morrow is sixth in free throw percentage (.844). Kyei ranks seventh in blocks per game (0.8).
- In the national rankings (Feb. 20): Walsh ranks in the top-20 in three categories – 17th in three-point field goals per game (3.44), 19th in three-point field goal percentage (.462), and 20th in total three-pointers made (86).