Dec 28, 2016
Women's Basketball Notes
- The Saint Leo women’s basketball team is looking to continue its hot streak following the 12-day break for the Holiday, they are 5-5 on the season, but 0-3 in Sunshine State Conference play. Saint Leo went 2-0 at the Courtyard Holiday Classic hosted by Lynn University, taking down South Region foes Benedict, 93-84 in overtime, and Miles, 96-78.
- Senior Chelsy Springs poured in back-to-back 27 point performances at the Courtyard Holiday Classic. Against Benedict, Springs tallied her second double-double of the season, scoring 27 points and adding 11 rebounds, four of which were offensive. She shot 45.5-percent from the floor and hit seven of eight free throw attempts. She also added eight blocks. Against Miles, Springs scored 27 points in just 24 minutes. She added six rebounds, four of which were offensive. She also tallied an assist and a steal. She was perfect from the charity stripe, going 11-11, adding eight made baskets on 53.3-percent shooting. She now leads the Sunshine State Conference in scoring at 16.4 points per game. She also leads the SSC in field goal percentage at 49.2-percent.
- The Lions two offensive performances at the Courtyard Holiday Classic jumped the team’s points per game average to 71.9, which is good for second in the SSC.
- Freshman Madelin Lang is third in the SSC in assists per game, averaging 4.5. She leads the conference in assist to turnover ratio, at 2.5, as she only averages 1.8 turnovers per game. Her rate ranks 27th in the nation.
- Palm Beach Atlantic is currently 4-7 on the season, and 0-4 in SSC play. While PBA is a provisional member to the SSC, they do count as a conference game, but they will not be eligible to win the SSC Tournament.
- Ayanna Holmes leads the team in scoring and rebounding, averaging 15.1 points per game and 7.3 boards. Hannah Grim follows with 11.7 points per game. Rachael Holehouse, who was a 2015 All-American libero for PBA’s NCAA Tournament National Runner-Up Volleyball team, has switched courts in 2016 as she averages 6.4 points and has dished out a team-high 38 assists on the year.
Men's Basketball Notes
- SAINT LEO returns to the Marion Bowman Activities Center after 11 days off for the holiday as they welcome in Palm Beach Atlantic for a 7:30 p.m. tip.
- The Lions enter at 6-6, 1-2 SSC on the year where the Sailfish enter at 6-5, 2-2 SSC. PBA sits in fifth in the conference with their 2-2 record while Saint Leo is eight at 1-2.
- Saint Leo won its most recent game with a 78-72 win over Benedict on Dec. 19 in the Bowman Center. The Lions saw two athletes post double-doubles in Justin Satchell, 17 points and 10 rebounds, and Marcus Dewberry, 21 points and 10 assists. Dewberry finished the game four rebounds and four steals shy of a quadruple-double ending the night with 21 points, six rebounds, 10 assists and six steals.
- Two other Lions scored in double-figures on the night where Tyreece Brice sparked the bench with 12 points ahead of Drago Popovic who scored season-high 10 points off the bench as well.
- With 12 games in the books, Marcus Dewberry leads the team in scoring with 18.7 points per game and averages 5.3 assists per game while hauling in 5.3 rebounds per game. Three others average double-figures in Justin Satchell at 16.6 ppg, Tyreece Brice at 12.4 ppg and Junior Searcy at 11.0 ppg. Brice is second on the team in assists per game with 4.4, while Satchell leads the team in rebounding with 7.3 rpg.
- As a team, the Lions average 83.2 points per game and hold opponents to 82.8.
- In the SSC rankings: Dewberry is fifth in scoring (18.7), Satchell is ninth in scoring (16.6) while seventh in rebounding (7.3).
- PALM BEACH ATLANTIC enters the game after having won their most recent game against Pace University, 93-81 on Dec. 17 at the Boca Raton Holiday Classic splitting the tournament at 1-1 with a loss to No. 9 Drury on Dec. 16, 80-74.
- In the win over Pace, the Sailfish were led by Malek Barber who scored 22 points on the night. Lucas Morales secured a double-double with 20 points and 12 rebounds in the win. Three other ‘fish scored in double-digits with Milos Kostic at 11 points and Dakota Zinser and Grant Gullett each scoring 10 points.
- After 11 games on the year, PBA is led by De’Ondre Jackson who averages 17.0 ppg. Bakari Warthen and Malek Barber round out the double-digit point scorers with Warthen at 13.4 ppg and Barber at 11.4 ppg. Barber leads the team in rebounds with 6.2 rpg.
- On the year, the Sailfish average 82.5 ppg while holding their opponents to a half point lower at 82.0 ppg.