Dec 05, 2016
Women's Basketball Notes
- The Saint Leo women’s basketball team takes on Ave Maria on Tuesday night at 7 p.m. in a non-conference matchup. This is a time change from the original schedule. The Lions are looking to rebound off a 0-2 week after falling to Embry-Riddle and Barry. Against ERAU, the Lions fell 71-65, while against SSC foe Barry, they fell 71-61.
- Against ERAU, Saint Leo saw Ragen Dotson come off the bench for a season-high 20 points, adding six rebounds. Nikira Hooks added 16 points. As a team, the Lions shot 45.9-percent from the field and forced ERAU into 21 turnovers. But the Eagles out-rebounded the Lions, 39-25.
- Against Barry, Chelsy Springs was unstoppable to open the game. The senior scored the Lions first eight points and scored 17 of the teams 23 first quarter points on 8-of-8 shooting. She finished with a career-best 28 points. Dotson followed with 12 points, while Izabell Skoogh added nine. Barry shot 57.1-percent from beyond the arch with 12 made threes, which proved to be the difference in the game.
- Both Springs and Mary Redmond lead the Lions in scoring on the season with 13.8 points per game. Redmond has missed the last two games due to injury. Both Hooks and Dotson add 7.8, while Gina Brierley is averaging 8.0 points per game.
- As a team, the Lions are averaging 15.3 assists per game, while snagging 8.0 steals per game. They are averaging 66.3 points per game on 40.2-percent shooting, but are allowing 72.5 points per game, on 42.4-percent shooting.
- Ave Maria enters with a 4-4 record, and are on a two-game winning streak in their conference play. They are averaging 64.0 points per game on 38.7-percent shooting. Lauren Gillingham is leading the team in scoring at 15.5 points per game while adding 7.6 rebounds and a team-high 4.3 assists per game.